iv. Fallen Pigeon

[➵]

[➵]

Melanie yawned as she groggily rolled out of bed. The whole apartment smelled of Elijah and his cologne. It was a heavenly mixture of an earthy pine scent and a sweet spice. She stretched as she walked towards the bathroom to shower and brush her teeth. She had just finished putting her clothes on when the annoying feeling of being summoned ran through her veins. Melanie opened a black hole before stepping through to the other side. She was instantly met with the cold brown eyes of former foe, Marcel Gerard. Beside him sat a young girl graced with beauty beyond her time.

Melanie seemingly decided to spare herself the party trick of reading their minds and opted to entertain them.

"Where exactly am I? And to whom do I owe this dreadful displeasure." She said while her emerald eyes skimmed over the place. It appeared she was in a dusty attic of some sort. Her examination of the place ended with a pointed look at Marcel.

Marcel smirked. His smile saying one thing but his eyes saying another. "So the rumors are true. " He said as he clasped his hands in front of him. "The fallen pigeon... back doing what she does best." Melanie rolled eyes at the nickname he undoubtedly picked up from Niklaus. "And what you seem best at is, siding against Klaus."

Melanie scoffed at the second most arrogant bastard she knew. Klaus had definitely taught him well. "The arrogance you possess is beyond you. Living in daddy's shadow clearly has warped your idiotic brain." She snipped seriously annoyed by him. Davina took a step towards her, outraged.

     "You can't talk to Marcel like that!" She yelled about to do something but Marcel quickly stopped her. He forcefully smirked as he pushed her back into place.

     "Relax, D. She might appear docile but that's a bull you don't want to tempt." He said causing Melanie to smirk. Her temper was nothing short of vicious when provoked and a bratty teenage witch with too much power and arrogance, was a spark that would undoubtedly cause a flame. "Which-." He spoke as he looked into Melanie's eyes. "Is why we need her on our side."

     Melanie laughed not being able to hold it in. "You, Marcellus, of all people want me to help you? That's comical." She said in between laughs. "That's like asking for racial equality." She said sobering up. "Impossible. Never going to happen."

     "Racial equality?" Davina questioned, confused by its relevance.

     "My point. Right there." Melanie said as she pointed at Davina. "Black or white. Vampire or werewolf. Wherever there lays differences there will always be some judgmental asshole who thinks their better." She paused, crossing her arms and poking out her hip as she looked Davina up and down. "And ignorant people like you, who thinks it doesn't matter, will always be the reason it continues."

     Davina's face turned red in embarrassment. "I never said it didn't matter!" She huffed clearly getting flustered by Melanie's words.

     Melanie smirked. Davina was making it too easy. "Yeah, but you thought it." She said as she tapped her temple with her pointer finger. "And in that little warped heart of yours..." Melanie paused. Then she said in a condescending whisper, "you felt it."

     "Alright!" Marcel said loudly as he interrupted the building animosity between the two. "Mind reading and empathy is just a few of her tricks so don't take it personal. It's easy for her to get into your head." Marcel spoke as he patted the top of Davina's head. She looked like she was ready to blow any second. "Which as I said, is all the more reason we need her on our side." Davina said nothing as she stared Melanie down. Her thoughts doing all the talking.

     "Klaus wants the keys to my kingdom and my answer is hell no. The only person who knows what Klaus is literally thinking is you, Melanie. Your the only person capable of taking him down because you'll always be two steps ahead of him." 

     Melanie shrugged after listening to his rant. "Be that as it may, I'm supposedly on the witches side in this fight." Truth be told she was on no ones side but her own. She just liked to see Marcel sweat. "And you're public enemy number one."

     "True." Marcel said not denying the fact that the witches absolutely hated him. "But the enemy of my enemy, is my friend." Melanie rolled her eyes. "Klaus is real heated up about you being here. Won't be long before you get an unwelcome visit."

     "Oh and you think by partnering up with me, you'll remain in his favor? He'll be coming for both of our heads."

     "Who's worried when you can stop him?" Marcel questioned smugly.

     "Unless you don't think you can do it." Davina quipped finally breaking her silence. Melanie had half a mind to break her neck. It was very tempting and all it took was a little telekinesis and manipulation of the matter around her throat.

     "Don't annoy me." She said seriously. "It won't end well for you or Marcel." She said simply. Her patience was officially wearing thin and whatever Marcel was hoping to achieve was fading fast. "I'm done here."

     "Wait!" Marcel said panicking. "Are you going to join me?"

     Melanie formed a black hole. "Maybe if you hadn't betrayed me centuries ago by telling those witches where to find me, I'd be a little more inclined to help." She took a step towards the hole. "On that note, fuck off." She said before disappearing. Marcel turned to Davina, annoyed.

     "That was a waste of time!" Davina huffed at everything that had just transpired. Marcel stroked his chin as he thought about his options.

     "When I first met her, she was running from a group of witches."

"She said that....." Davina trailed off confused. "She said you betrayed her. That's why she doesn't want to help us now."

"I know." He said while rubbing his chin. "I knew they were looking for her but I never knew for what. Now, I want to know why."