chapter 1: The Last Reaping

Just in case you are confused this is before the preface!

~~~oOo~~~

I walk through the streets of the Capitol, still pretty quiet because of the early hour of the day. Its not the Capitol I grew up in, not really, its much different now. I love all the influences of the districts that have flooded in ever since the rebellion. Its now basically just a combination of the districts with very little of the original Capitol left. The birds wake and singing and the sun shines on my pale skin making life seem perfect.

I can't help but sigh when I reach the out skirts of the Capitol. The fields and forest have thrived ever since the Capitol's down fall. I break into a sprint as I plunge into the cool shadowed forest and out of the hot morning sunrise. I breathed in the fresh air and let my worries melt away. Soon I reach my destination, but even though it was not far I'm already starting to sweat.

I scramble onto a large rock right next to the river that cuts through the woods like an icy knife. I slip off my shoes and gently lower my feet into the cool water knowing it would be a while still before Zaid or Nash arrived. My thoughts wandered despite my desperate attempts to keep them focused on the water flowing through my toes. My thoughts always nag at me when I'm alone without some thing to distract me. It makes me think about my father, a topic that chills me to the bones.

I became lost in deep thought and didn't realize someone was coming up behind me until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned quickly with a start. I let out a sigh of relief when I found I was just looking up into the handsome face of Zaid. He was in his usual jeans and dark colored t-shirt.

"Zaid!" I said punching him playfully as he sat down on the rock right next to me. "You scared the heck out of me!" 

"Yeah, your usually not so easy to sneak up on," he said, a teasing smile playing across his lips. "Must have been pretty deep in thought." Zaid's voice was soft as he leaned in a little closer to me. Our arms brushed sending goosebumps relay racing across my skin

"I was thinking about my father again." I admitted.

He gingerly places his hand on top of my own and his other hand gently under my chin, raising my hung head to look into his silvery eyes that look deep into my own beneath his silky black fringe. "Don't hang your head and always remember who you are, your not you father, that's for sure" He whispered, his pale hand now on the side of my face.

"Just kiss the girl already!" Teased a mocking voice just before Zaid was pushed into the stream.

"Nash!" I laughed, recognizing the familiar form, doubled over laughing. His smile so bright it would make the sun jealous. Nash was eighteen, we all lived in the orphanage, though Zaid and I met before that because his father was also very high up and close to Snow. It felt more  like Nash had adopted us though. A real father figure for us to look up to since our fathers had never been there for us.

 Zaid stumbled out of the river soaking wet and wrestled Nash back into the river. Both fell back onto the river bank a few minutes later dripping and doubled over in laughter.

"Come on Alex! Join the party!" Zaid got out between his fits of laughter.

"Yeah, come on!" Nash called after pushing Zaid back into the water.

They scrambled out of the river and each grabbed one of my arms and tossed me into the river.

"Oh, its on now!" I said with a mischievous glint in my eye.

We played like little kids, Zaid and I still trying for that childhood we never had, for about a half an hour before deciding to head back into town. We raced each other back, earning us a few disapproving glares and a scolding when we got back to the orphanage, but it was worth it.