Our Last Secret.

Just a heads up, this will be written in Owen's point of view! :)

~JustWriters

"Honey, is that you?" My mum called out as I tried to open the front door with the twin carriers.

"Yeah, it's me!" I shouted back, gently placing the twins down and sinking to the ground.

I hear her open the door. "Honey," she looks at me. "What's wrong?" she wipes tears off my cheeks. Her eyes flicked to the twins. "Oh, honey," she murmured, pulling me into a hug. "I'm sorry," she said quietly, obviously guessing what happened. I cry, I can’t hold it in any longer.

"She broke up with me and thought it was best I took the twins with me," I told her through my gritted teeth.

She rubs my back. "I'm so sorry, honey." she says. "Let’s get you all inside; it’s really hot out for June." She takes Nicole and the bags while I take Matt and the pack and play crib.

She pushed open my bedroom door and looked around. "You'll have to make a bit of room," she told me. "It'll be temporary until we can clear out the spare room for them."

"I will. Thanks mum." She nodded and left the room, leaving me and the twins on our own. What was I supposed to do now? I make some room and set up the pack and play for the twins then put them in it so they can sleep. I watched them with a smile before grabbing the baby monitor and going downstairs to the garden. I sit down on a bench and put my head in my hands.

"It'll be okay, son." I looked up at my dad, who was wiping his hands on his trousers and standing up. "Everything works out in the end."

"She wants nothing to do with me or our kids."

He sat down next to me and looked up at the sky. "Maybe it’s all too much for her," he said. "Some people can't handle too much all in one go and she's had a lot on her plate lately."

"I know, but to push the twins out of her life? It’s been two days since she had them and she's already put them out of her life."

He sighed. "She'll figure it out eventually that this wasn't a good idea. She's probably missing you and the twins like mad right now."

"As much as it kills me to say this I hope she misses the twins more. They are her flesh and blood."

He nodded sadly. "She will, Owen." He patted me on the back before getting up.

"Thanks dad."

"It'll work out," he said quietly before leaving me on my own. Once He leaves I start crying again. How can one girl reduce me to tears so easily? I gritted my teeth. What was the chance she was crying right now? She was probably with Elliott. The baby monitor goes off then. I sigh and wipe away may tears before getting up and heading up to my crying babies.

"Hey," I murmured softly, picking up Nicole. "What's wrong, baby?" She starts screaming. "Shh." I rock her a bit and she still doesn't stop. I squeezed my eyes shut and walked over to my bed. I placed her down and laid next to her. "Come on, baby, shh," I cooed, tickling her stomach. She calms down a bit and grabs my finger. "I love you, baby girl," I told her softly. She holds my finger and yawns, closing her eyes. I shut my eyes and sighed quietly. This was going to be really hard if I had to do this on my own. Matt starts screaming.

I made sure Nicole was still asleep before getting Matt out his crib. "Don't cry, buddy," I said softly to him. "Are you hungry?" I pick them both up and walk downstairs.

"Need some help?" My mum smiled at me and took Nicole from my arms.

"Yeah, thanks mum."

She nodded and sat down. "You're doing great so far, honey," she told me softly.

"Thanks. I've been doing it all afternoon." She helped me prepare a bottle for the twins and kissed my forehead before leading me to the front room. We sit down and she feeds her while I hold a sleeping Matt.

I hugged him close to my chest and sighed. "We'll be fine," I told him softly, before looking up at my mum and watching her. Nicole finishes the bottle quickly but she's still fussy. My mum gently rocked her and sung a lullaby. I smiled as I recognized it from my childhood. I remember her singing it to me whenever I couldn’t sleep.

"You're so beautiful," she murmured to Nicole as she fell asleep. I smiled and looked down at Matt. I look over at Nicole and smile. My baby girl. I'm going to make sure no boy ever hurts her and I'm not letting my baby boy get hurt either. I chuckled silently. They weren't even a week old and I was already thinking of boys hurting my baby girl. I can’t help but smile around them. They make me happy.

"You seem happier," my mum commented as she looked over at me. "That's good."

"I was just thinking." I tell her. "They aren't even a week old and I've already thought about boys hurting my baby girl." I chuckle.

She snorted. "Trust you to think of that. You've still got quite a few years to go," she told me. "And with you as a father, I doubt boys will hurt her."

"You've got that right mum."

She grinned. "Have you thought about school at all?" She asked softly.

"No." I tell her.

"You should, sweetie," she told me. "I don't want you to throw your life away."

"I know mum, but I don’t even know where to start."

She pursed her lips and nodded. "We can discuss it during the holiday - which is soon," she reminded me.

"Okay mum." I sighed and stroked Matt's cheek softly.

"I'm going to put Nicole in bed." Mum says. I nodded and watched her as she left the room. I lie on the couch on my side and lay Matt next to me. I thought over what my mum said, I should really go back to school so I can get a good job to support the twins but how would I help them if I'm not here during the day? I have senior year and then college, I don’t know about it. How can I go and take care of the twins?

I groaned and rubbed my eyes. "Me and your father could take care of the twins," my mum said softly, crouching down in front of the sofa to look at me.

"What?" I ask, not sure if I heard her correctly.

"So you can go to school, me and your father can look after them until they're old enough to go to day care, by then you'll be home more. I don't want to see your life slipping away because of staying home," she told me quietly.

"You don’t have to mum, they're my responsibility."

"Darling, me and your father don't want you to miss high school," she said. "If you don't get your diploma, what will you do to support the twins?" I nod, she's right. "When you finish high school, the twins will be old enough for day care, you will still get to go to college and spend time with the twins," she murmured, pushing my hair away from my face.

"I can’t do this by myself mum." I whisper, looking down at Matt sleeping.

"I know, sweetie," she said softly, kissing my forehead. "You'll have me and your father."

"I'm going to head up and try and get some sleep before they wake up again." I tell her as I pick Matt up. I head up to my room and place him in the crib. I pull off my jeans and shirt before getting into bed, closing my eyes, and falling asleep.