Chapter Five

Beginne am Anfang

"You're a jerk you know." I started walking ahead of him playfully, "You know you're going to end up falling for that girl."

"I'm not a clumsy guy you know", he continued his sarcastic remarks.

"Okay, so there's about a month left until you leave, what do you want to do?" I asked promptly.

"Can I do you?"  I blushed, but shoved him again, "Fine, well how about we make the most of this month count?"

"What do you mean?"  My eyes stared at his serious demeanor, but I think I knew what was coming next.

"Let's leave and do whatever the hell we want to do", He made a big motion with his arms and started talking about how we can visit the world and try different things that he hadn't done before either.

"Okay, let's do it."  At that moment, he took a long, hard stare at me, waiting for me to come out and embarrass his notion.

"Are you serious?"  He picked me up and held me at my a-ss, "I swear to God I'm going to punish you severely if you're lying to me Scarlet Ames."

"I mean it."  I kissed him hard, "Let's leave tonight."

And with that, I had made up my mind.  I would close down my shop, leave my current home, pack everything that I could, and leave with this wonderful man that had me at his fingertips every time he looked at me.

"You've just made me a lucky man."  I happily blushed.  The worst of my nightmares came to awake me, Oh how I hoped I wasn't wrong in making this decision.

I had gone to the city office to go ahead and speak to Kyle.  I had everything packed already, explained the situation to Pam who was clearly jealous of my situation, and Ryan had already confirmed his payments to Ms. Willow and left stupid Audra.

"Oh Scarlet!  We haven't seen you here in a while, how have you been?"  Kyle's secretary had greeted me with such compassion.

"I'm doing great actually, is Kyle around?"  She looked at me with concerning eyes and explained how he was actually in Silverling visiting my dearest friend.  "No worries, I'll meet them there then."

I went back to the vehicle where Ryan was waiting patiently, "Everything good?"

"Not really...apparently Kyle is in Silverling with Kathleen", I continued to wonder what Kyle was doing over there.  "Do you think he knows about us and is telling her about me?"  That wouldn't be as devastating since Kathleen pretty much knows everything about me.

"She's one of your best friends, I don't believe she would hurt you like that."  Well maybe other things were in store for me.  She did persuade me to continue my relationship with Ryan.

"So officially our road trip begins now!" I exclaimed, excited for the long journey that awaited us.

"Yup, well technically in Silverling, but from there we can take the major highway."  He placed his hand on my lap and I could tell he was happy.  For the first time since I met him, he was happy.

"What do you want to do first?"  I was way too excited for this road trip, but I've been here for my entire life, what do you expect from me?

"We're going to find a hotel out in Tennessee, sleep for the night and then we'll leave."  I stopped gazing outside the window and turned towards him to question where we would go.

"What's our destination?"  I waited patiently for his answer.

"It's a surprise."  I hate surprises.  If there's anything in life worth waiting for, I didn't want it.  Surprises were gifts where you didn't know what to expect, so you don't know if you should act happy, angry, sad, or any other emotion.  I need time to prepare for the gift.

"You know how much I hate surprises Ryan..." I grabbed one of my bags from the backseat to grab my chips to snack on something.

"I can't believe you're hungry already." I smiled and kept on eating my chips, crunching on every bite louder and louder each time.

I looked at my phone and saw no new texts from Kyle or anyone else, "I eat...a lot.  Just thought you should know that."

"I figured, those curves don't fill out themselves." He winked and grinned at me.

The rest of the way was as amazing as a road trip can get.  I got to hear my pop music while as he wanted to hear his rock, so I had to pull up with it.

Restless hours of talking until we got to Silverling where I would speak to Kyle and end this once and for all.

I went up to Kathleen's store and immediately went inside her office.  I didn't bother knocking, I knew he was here, his car was parked outside of the grocery.  Being that it was already close to nine, I didn't want to take any more of their time.

Ryan had decided to come inside with me and wait outside her office, I pushed open the door and couldn't believe what I saw in front of me.

Kyle embraced with Kathleen, kissing passionately like it was the first time seeing each other, "Hi."

They both turned around and were shocked to see Ryan and I there, staring at their open, wide-eyes.  "Scarlet, this isn't what it looks like."

"It doesn't matter." I hysterically laughed with tears running down my face, "I don't love you anymore."

Kathleen looked at me with saddened eyes, "I'm sorry Scarlet...I fell in love, and I figured since you have Ryan, you'd be okay."

"Okay?" I turned to Ryan who was standing by my side, "I waited for you Kyle.  Waited to see if you even cared about me. And you!" I pointed to Kathleen who was now going behind her desk to hide from all of this drama, "I can't believe you called me your best friend when you were doing all of this behind my back!"

I intertwined my hands with Ryan's and I turned back to look at them before I left, "But it's okay.  Because I love him now, he's all I need."

I knew something was going on, but it doesn't matter anymore.  I got back inside the vehicle with Ryan. I kicked off my shoes and laid my legs on top of the dashboard.  I opened up the bag of chips that I had saved and smiled at Ryan.

This was going to be one hell of a ride.

Sorry for the short chapter and any mistakes there might be!  But I promise next week will be a really good one!  Make sure to comment and vote :) XO, Zed.