4. Evanjaline Moon

Start from the beginning

"I moved around a lot." It wasn't a lie.

"So you're not from around here? You have no accent."

"I travel."

"Where have you been?"

"New Zealand, Hawaii, California, Florida, Fiji-"

"You've been to Fiji?!" I giggle and nod at his outburst. "That's so cool. Your family must be rich."

"No-"

"Business trips?"

"No, we-"

"Vacation? Only rich people take vocations."

"We just travel."

"But-"

"Travis." I gave him a exhausted look.

"Sorry." He chuckled. "I'm just very curious. But, since you're staying for tonight, lets get to know each other. I'd hate to share my room with a pretty stranger." He winked and made his way to the comfortable sleeping square I haven't remembered the name of yet.

The wind blew in just then, through the open window and though it was cold, the smell of the ocean pulled me to the benched windowsill. I sat down, watching parts of the ocean that I could see.

I could see that the water moved roughly, though it was dark, lights bounced off of the mad water. I knew it wouldn't be as terrible under the surface, but no matter what, you could always tell when the water on top was thrashing.

I didn't notice Travis behind me until his voice brought me back. "There was supposed to be a storm this afternoon. Guess it got here late."

"What are storms like?" I asked quietly, not tearing my eyes away from the waves.

"You've bounced around to different places so much that you've avoided storms your whole life?" He chuckled at his own words.

"I've just never seen one. I know that the sky lights up and sounds can be heard, but...." I thought about it, what was I gonna say? "I've never really been around for one. When I do hear it, it sounds like I'm hundreds of feet underwater and the light is faint."

"You're very strange."

"It's not bad to be different."

He seated himself on the other end of the bench and watched my face. I peeked at him and he averted his eyes and shifted them out the window to the menacing water.

"Why are you so proper?" Travis asks me.

"What do you mean?"

"You speak as if you're royalty."

I smiled, looking at him. He turned his face in my direction.

"Is it so terrible to have proper grammar?"

"Are you royalty?"

I shook my head. "I am just..... Evanjaline."

"How tall are you?"

"Six foot." I answered automatically. It was the measurement of me as a mermaid. I shrunk since I've gotten my legs and I met my hand to my forehead.

I should think before I talk.

"You are not. I'm six foot. Your more like five foot, five inches."

"I.... Was only joking." I said as a cover, then smiled.

He jumped into another question. "What's your last name?"

"What's with all the questions?"

"Curious. And you know mine. You also know where I live."