Chapter 5 - The Past's Disdain

Dedicated to EternalxFantasy for her votes and support on my stories. Don't think I didn't notice. :D

Bottom picture is of how I, more or less, envision Reth. Also, the beautiful Truculent made me a trailer for Calathus. Enjoy!

5.

The Past's Disdain

When Sianna entered her room at the end of the day she found it had changed. The unused extra beds were no longer there save for one. Its position mirrored Sianna's and next to it was a wooden chair she's never seen before. By the fireplace was a second bath tub—both were filled with warm water and towels hung on the wall. Sianna's shoulders hunched as she remembered she was now going to be sharing this room.

She walked in and eyed the new trunk by the foot of the bed. It was as wide as the frame and taller than the mattress. It was also unlocked. She threw the lid up. After two minutes of rummaging through it, there was nothing to be found but clothes. Sianna closed it, staring at the lid. She wasn't sure what she was expecting to find in a Rhokin's personal belongings.

Sianna was drying off from her bath when there was a knock on the door. She knew it was Reth. Even though this was his room too, she knew he wouldn't have entered on his own without her permission. It was how she had been able to bathe comfortably, knowing he wouldn't intrude on her.

"You'll have to wait, Reth," she yelled at the door.

"Yes, ser." She heard him respond.  

She grinned and took her time dressing into her usual sleeping attire of loose fitting breeches and a white cotton shirt. She sat on the bed and inhaled a few times. If only she could leave him out there forever.

"You can enter," Sianna said.

She heard the door open followed by his footsteps on the wooden floor. Even though she felt him standing by her, she kept her sights on the fire. He would probably stand there all night waiting for orders if she said nothing. It was tempting.

"You can get ready to go to bed if you want," Sianna said, eyes following the dancing flames.

She felt him stir.

"If I want, ser? Should I want to?" he said.

The stupidity of his questions drew her to face him. "What? Don't you want to go to bed? To sleep?"

The only change in his face was the raising of a single eyebrow. Sianna took it as his confused face. She sighed.

"It's perfectly fine for you to get ready for bed without me telling you to. It's just normal. You don't have to wait for me to tell you to do things. If you're hungry, go eat. If you're sleepy, go to sleep. Do what you have to do to keep yourself alive all while fitting it into your Guard duties and schedule. Does that make sense?" she asked.

His eyes flickered to the floor. Sianna welcomed the lack of contact but when he caught her sight again the silver in them made her stomach churn.

"I think I understand, ser. I shall nurture myself while doing my duties. May I get ready for bed now, then?" Reth said.

Sianna groaned and fell back on her bed. "Sure, Reth. You can. There is a drawn bath for you by the fire. Just because I can't stand the sight of you doesn't mean I shouldn't stand the smell of you."

She had expected a retort from him, like last time, but he said nothing. All she heard was the ruffle of his clothes as he undressed and the sloshing of water as he settled into the tub. If the water had cooled down, he also said nothing about it.