Kristina and Tyler Wilson

Start from the beginning

“Kristina” I say.

She holds up her hand, signaling for me to be quiet. I sigh and sink down into my seat. We’re on the highway; the 7-11 long gone before Kristina finally speaks.

“What the hell, T?” she asks.

It’s hard to tell if there is more anger or concern in her voice.

“I fell off my bike.” I say.

“Liar.” She says bluntly.

“I’m not lying!” I cry.

“Tyler, I saw the bike!”

She’s practically shouting now.

“You didn’t just fall off!”

 I stare out the window, not wanting to say anything.

“Tyler” Kristina says. “What happened?”

This time, all I hear is concern.

“I told you.” I say.

“Don’t lie to me. You don’t lie to best friends.” Kristina says.

I sigh.

“I was riding my bike” I say. “Mom had the car today so I couldn’t use it. All I wanted was a Slurpee. I went to get one and I drank it right there in the store. I left the store and got back on my bike. I started to pedal home when this car came out of nowhere. The next thing I know, I’m lying on the ground in pain.”

“Oh Tyler.” Kristina says.

“No” I say. “Don’t fucking baby me. I am seventeen years old. I don’t need you to act like my mother; I already have a mother. I need you to act like my best friend.”

“Damn Tyler, I’m only trying to help.” Kristina says.

“Speaking of help, where the fuck are we going?” I ask.

“The hospital.” Kristina says.

“The hospital is the other way.” I say, pointing to the way we came from.

“Do you really think we’re going to go to the hospital that your aunt works at? She’ll tell your mom and I have no doubt that she’ll hound you for answers.”

“Like you did?” I asked.

“Fuck, Tyler!” Kristina yells, throwing her hands in the air. “Is anything I do good enough for you?”

I close my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose.

“I didn’t mean it like that.” I say.

“Well how the hell did you mean it?” Kristina asks.

“I… I… I don’t know.” I manage.

“Exactly. So watch what you fucking say.” Kristina says.

I stare out the window. I didn’t want to talk anymore. We finally arrive at the hospital and I open my door. I try to get out but slip due to not being able to use my right hand.

“No need to help.” I mumble.

“What?” Kristina asks. “Did you really just say that?”

She gets out of the car and slams the door. She likes to slam doors.

“Did you really just accuse me of not helping you? What do you think I’m doing now?! I can assure you that this is NOT how I wanted to spend my Friday afternoon. I have much better things to do than haul your sorry ass around!” Kristina yells.