Part 15.

Lyrie struggled to hold up the weight of her pack as she made her way to the docks with Lord Klaye and Everild. Even though it held only her own knapsack and the smallest of Lord Klaye's tents—bundled as tightly as Everild could manage—the pack was nearly half the size and weight of her.

"Keep up, nephew, or Everild will have to stick a knife in your throat," Lord Klaye remarked with a grin.

Lyrie ignored him and quickened her pace. She had contemplated running off in the night after he had gone to sleep, but there was no place for her to go. The townspeople of North Port were gone or in hiding, and her only other option was to become a proper camp whore, which did not appeal to her. So, she had put the boy's clothes on again and went along with Lord Klaye and Everild, intent on escaping whenever the first opportunity arose.

The three of them wound their way back through the hovels and warehouses of North Port towards the docks. The rain had subsided, but the streets were still a muddy mess. Fifteen thousand or more troops had offloaded in the port and walked the muddy roads and left them a quagmire. When they finally reached the docks and approached the ship that would take them upriver, the Earl of Gaulang stood waiting for them with his squire and a leech at his side.

Lord Klaye bowed to the Earl. "Good day, my lord. Are we ready to set sail?"

The Earl stared openly at Lyrie, tucked in behind Everild. "Who's this? You said nothing of another passenger."

"My apologies. This is my nephew Lyle Klaye of Sunspar. He has been sworn into my trust, and I'm afraid he must accompany us."

"This is no expedition for boys, Klaye. We haven't the room nor the time if he lags behind."

"He'll keep up, I promise," Lord Klaye said. "He is nimble and strong, despite his girlish face and skinny arms."

The Earl shook his head. "I won't have it. There'll be fighting and he's like to get killed. You can leave him in the care of my chancellor."

"I'm sorry, my lord, but I can't in good conscience do that."

The Earl's face had turned red, but before he could say anything more, Terryll yelled down at them from Black Zefferus.

"All aboard, my lords! We need to be in the river mouth now to ride the incoming tide."

Lyrie nearly gasped as she recognized Terryll's voice and saw him standing there. She knew better than to say anything or let him see her, though. If he recognized her, he would say something, and if the Earl knew she was a whore he would no doubt force her to stay behind and join the other camp whores. It would be better to get on-board and safely at sea, then she could reveal herself to Terryll and let him take care of Lord Klaye and the Earl.

The Earl and Lord Klaye were still glaring at each other, however, and neither seemed intent on boarding.

"My lord," the leech said, stepping forward, "Perhaps it would be wise to get onboard where you can continue this conversation. If the boy need be left behind, he can return with the ship's crew."

Terryll's crewmen were already untying the ship from the cleats on the dock.

"Wise counsel, leech. Let's go. Lord Klaye, we will continue this conversation later."

Lord Klaye bowed his head and they all followed theEarl up the gangplank wordlessly.