Chapter 19: Betrayal

Start from the beginning

However, I was not optimistic.

I was faithful.

The qualities tend to get mixed up but nevertheless; they are different. I rid myself of pain because genuinely, hope was the only emotion I could cope with. I want - need - to see the best of things when I'm at the verge of crumpling.

❧ ✶ ❧

Absorbing my surroundings, I realize my legs are propped up on a pillow and I lay down in an awkward position. I want to sit up but my sore limbs scream in protest and I am rendered immobile and undeniably irked. I feel my own cringe uprising however, the skin on my face is too tight to reveal it.

It is then that I comprehend I am alone. The room was utterly devoid of pack members and Trent. I drown in a puddle of disappointment; although, the emotion quickly subsides and is replaced by attentiveness.  

Where is everyone? I thought with a frown. I highly doubt they would leave me - any patient, as matter of fact - unguarded.

It had been obvious that I had spoken too soon when the door to the room rumbled. 

Something akin to apprehension overwhelms me when the rumbles were followed by relentless, thundering knocks. My eyes widen before they close; an emotionless veil envelopes my face. My flawless façade masked my consciousness and it will - hopefully - manipulate the unsolicited visitor. 

An eerie silence lingered in the room before it was leached away when the door opened. The individual strode in, carrying a daunting aura that virtually suffocated my being. I paid close attention to the grim actualities of reality as I was pulled into an endless void. My heart clenches in agitation as it hammered against my chest when I sense the person draw nearer.

Momentarily, I could only hope for the solitude and seclusion I yearn for.

"The Taken couple had a child after all. A werewolf angel hybrid," a deep voice snorted. Counterfeiting a comatose demeanor, I couldn't do anything but remain unmoving when a rough hand settled on my cheek. I begrudgingly ignored it, of course; despite the fact it was too deterring to disregard.

 "You don't belong; albeit you do. Your being is miraculous, however; I expect you to already know that. Nevertheless, having you idle around our race is rather nerve wracking. You're a threat, Charlotte. And if I do say so myself, my league of - pure - werewolves do not favor threats," the voice - I still fail to recognize - informs. 

 I was beginning to think that the man before me was well aware about my waking. Yet, I couldn't be too sure. 

When the hand on my cheek was removed, I assumed the intruder had vacated the room. My conjecture had been terribly wrong when cold metal was placed where the hand had originally been. Hot tears had already built up underneath my eyelids when I figured out what the object was.

A knife.  

My private consternation had latched itself onto my heart and I could only imagine what would happen next. 

"Ms. Taken, I hope you have prepared yourself for the imminent consequences that were induced by your parents. Life is likes a boomerang, what you do - although in your case, what they did - you serve for. Which is death." A multitude of emotions surged through me and I found my own nails biting into the skin of my palms. I must concede, I was more than frightened. After all, I was in thrall to the man. 

 Life is likes a boomerang, what you do - although in your case, what they did - you serve for.

Something sparked within me, like his words piqued my curiosity along with my interest. It was apparent that he was insulting them; in a way I couldn't fathom. Thinking it over, I was gradually earning new insights into the meaning of his declaration until I finally understood.