Bombing - Part 5

En başından başla

Kristy rushed the men along - she was now impatient and angry. Angry with herself at the situation she was in and impatient to get back to Tom. She found she was more worried for him than herself. She figured they would probably leave her behind at the airport, if they didn't kill her, but he would remain with them, and who knew what would become of him.

Back down at the street, a limousine was waiting and had attracted a small crowd. Chuck was hanging out of the back window, chatting and joking with some people. She could see Terry sitting sullenly in the driver's seat. She did not see Tom. Mike and Jalen walked her to the car and opened the back door. As she got in she saw that Tom was seated across from Chuck, watching him. Mike backed his head out of the car for a moment, also joking with someone in the crowd. Jalen got in the passenger side next to Terry and the privacy window rose upwards slowly. Tom slid over the seat to her.

"Have you seen a gun on any of these men?" He asked casually, as if they were on their way to a cocktail party.

"No," Kristy replied, "have you?"

Tom nodded, "Chuck there has a Desert Eagle – total piece of crap."

"Really?" Kristy said, eyeing Chuck, who was laughing. The guy was obviously enjoying his moment as a big shot. She looked back at Tom, "Well, any gun is better than no gun."

"True," Tom agreed, "But my Colt Mustang is better by far."

Kristy's eyes widened, "How is that possible? You can't fly with one."

"You can't fly with one," Tom said raising and lowing his eyebrows comically.

He placed his hands over hers, "Once we get into that airport, you hit the deck."

"Hey!" Chuck said, pulling his head back into the car and pushing the button to raise the window, "Move back over." He pulled his gun from his jacket and waved it at Tom. Tom winked at her and moved back over. Big Mike jumped into the car and took a seat on the same bench as Chuck.

The twenty minutes drive to the airport seemed like an eternity. Tom's eyes never left Chuck's face and with each mile closer, Chuck seemed more and more agitated. The car slowed and then stopped. Kristy listened. She heard Terry speaking with someone. They started up again and she could see a barricade that was set and the policeman that waved them through but nothing else. The next time they stopped a soldier rapped on Chuck's window and asked him to get out. Chuck refused.

"I'm on a diplomatic mission, man. You are holding us up."

The soldier stuck his head into the window. He looked from Tom to Kristy to Mike. He spoke to Kristy, "Who are you?"

"I'm a medic," she replied feeling her voice shake a little, "We're on a diplomatic mission. There are people who are hurt."

The man stared at her a moment then addressed Tom, "And you?"

"The same," Tom replied.

"Do you both have identification?" he asked. Kristy and Tom nodded their heads.

"What's your story?" he asked Mike and it seemed to fluster the man.

"He's helping us with our equipment," Kristy answered for him and Mike nodded as well.

The soldier pulled his head back out. It was a few moments before he returned.

"OK. Safe travels," he said and waved them along.

Chuck smiled and seemed relieved. "Next stop, the airport," he said and he and Mike did a fist bump.

About five minutes later, they arrived. A man with a gun greeted then and directed them toward the airfield. The moment they pulled through the fence, Tom moved in a fluid movement. He relieved Chuck of his gun, and kicked Mike straight in the face, crumpling the man's nose. Mike collapsed in a heap on the floor of the car as Chuck tried to recover. With one more punch, Tom neutralized Chuck completely. With both men on the ground, Tom knocked on the privacy window. As it was being lowered, he thrust his hand through, knocking Jalen's head against the windshield. Jalen's tongue lolled out of his mouth and he slumped in his seat as Tom held the gun to Terry's temple.

"Drive straight to Hanger C," he said to Terry. Terry swallowed hard and turned left, driving past a small group of men who looked curiously after the vehicle.

Terry screeched the car to a halt in front of the hanger.

From behind her Kristy heard a moan and moved quickly to kick Chuck in the head. He didn't move again.

"Let's go!" Tom pulled her through the back door as she grabbed her pack. He ran straight for a small plane and jumped aboard it. Kristy sprinted around to the other side and clambered up. As Tom started it up, the limo pulled up and back into their sight and then tore off.

"We don't have much time," Tom said. He taxied the Cherokee Piper to the runway and turned it into position. Kristy's pulse was racing hard. Over the noise of the engine and with her obstructed view, it was impossible to know if they were being pursued. Tom accelerated down the runway and she felt the craft lift and turn toward the sky. They were free. Simultaneously, her phone began to receive and buzz with texts and calls. Kristy quickly scanned them. There were more than a dozen, and they were all from Brent.