Prologue

Time didn't affect Izaya Orihara. He was invincible to it. Time only affected the humans he adored.

Apparently, it also affected his mother.

He got the news at about 2:00 A.M, (he was working), in the form of an email. He had already logged into his email, so the high pitched ping was no surprise. He clicked on the tab and was surprised to see a new mail from his father, Shirou Orihara. He hadn't talked to his father in nearly 6 years, so he wondered why he suddenly popped up again now. He was badly tempted to not even open it, but he did, clicking on it to see that the subject read: Your Mother. This peaked his interest even more. His mother was the only person in his family that he was still on good terms with, and he wondered why his father would be talking about her, because they were divorced.

His eyes traveled down the page to read the main body of text.

Izaya,

First, I'd like you to know that I would not be telling you if I didn't have any morals, such as you. I do not want, or expect a reply to this email. I still hate you, and that will not change.

I've already told your sisters. Your mother died at 9:17 P.M last night, from leukemia. I am expecting you to plan the funeral, and take care of your sisters during this time, as well as.........

The rest of the email blurred into smudges of black as he stared at the screen.

His mother...was dead? Kyouko Orihara was dead? Of leukemia? No one had even told him she had cancer. And now she was gone?

He rolled back from his desk, hands tightening into fists on the arms of his desk chair. He fought back tears as he tried in vain to convince himself that this was all just some terrible nightmare.

He forced himself up from his chair, staggering over to his couch and collapsing on it, still not shedding a single tear. Tears were weak.

And that was how Name found him the next morning, curled in a ball on the couch, eyes completely dry. Because Izaya Orihara didn't cry.