Chapter 6

The next morning, everyone gathered at Riley and Maya's place for breakfast when Riley came out from her room in a rush.

"Okay I am officially late for work!" she exclaimed as she grabbed her purse and her phone.

"Riley you haven't even had breakfast yet" Maya said.

At that point Riley grabbed Farkle's apple from him hand and took a bite of it.

"Thanks Farkle!" she said with her mouth full as she headed out the door with the apple.

"Sure go ahead and take my breakfast!" Farkle shouted.

"Okay Maya" Josh said "What's so important that you had to have us here this morning?"

"So I was talking to Riley last night about her hang out with Lucas" Maya explained.

"Really?" Lucas said with interest "What did she say?"

"Well-" she said with a sad look "She told me that you two are not gonna get back together."

"What?" Lucas gasped.

"What?" everyone else gasped.

"She said that the both of you have to move on" Maya added "Since you guys have been together all through high school, she feels that it's time to move on."

"Oh" Lucas said as he tried to hide his sadness.

"Are you okay?" Smackle asked with a worried look.

"I'm fine" he said as he forced a small smile "I mean, Riley's right, we have been together all through high school, maybe we do need to move on."

"Are you sure you're okay?" Zay asked with a wondering look.

"I'm fine" Lucas assured "Riley and I are gonna hang out with Charlie later this afternoon, so I might as well get ready for it."

And with that he went out.

"Yeah he's not okay" Zay said.

"So what do we do?" Smackle asked "It's obvious that Lucas still has feelings for her, but he's trying to hide it."

"I don't think we should do anything" Josh suggested "Let them figure out their feelings, it's the best thing to do."

_________

So later that afternoon, Riley and Lucas met up with Charlie at the cafe across town where they sat at a table.

"So I heard you're thinking about joining the football team" Charlie said to Lucas.

"I am" Lucas said "I figured that I might as well do something with my life."

"And I may even try join cheer leading again" Riley put in.

"Really?" Charlie smiled "Well that's cool, you were a really great cheerleader in high school."

"Thanks" she smiled.

"So just to be clear, you two are just friends right?"

"Oh yes" Lucas said "We've been together all through high school and we feel like we need to move on."

"Well, just to let you know, I will never come between you guy's friendship like I did in middle school. I was a jerk back then but I promise I'm a better person now. And if you don't believe me I swear I'll walk out of here and you'll never have to see me again."

"K bye."

"Lucas" Riley slapped his arm.

"I'm kidding" Lucas said with a small chuckle.

"I would never hurt either one of you on purpose" Charlie added "And I'm sorry for what happened before."

Lucas just avoided eye contact as he looked down with a fake smile.

"Lucas" Riley said "Is there anything you want to say to Charlie?"

Lucas turned to Charlie as he gave a sigh.

"You're paying right?" he asked.

"Lucas!" Riley hissed with a warning look.

"And I accept your apology" Lucas said with a little sigh.

"Thanks" Charlie said with a small smile.

"Well isn't this great that we're all friends?" Riley asked with a smile as they agreed "I say we celebrate with some smoothies, BRB."

And with that she got up and went to the counter.

"So?" Lucas said to Charlie "How's life doing for you Charlie?"

"Oh shut up" Charlie frowned as Lucas sat there a bit surprised.

"Excuse me?" he said a bit confused.

"I'm not an idiot Friar, it's obvious that you still have feelings for Riley" Charlie said with a frown "Well guess what cowboy, she doesn't feel the same way about you anymore, she's moved on."

"Yeah I can see that" Lucas frowned back.

"I know you're still in love with her, but don't even think about trying to get her back, because once I ask her out, she's going to forget all about you."

At that point Lucas felt his blood boil with anger.

"I knew there was something bad about you" he scowled "Riley may be too nice to see the evil in people, but I don't have to be nice when I do see evil. And I hope you know your blood type because you're gonna need it once I'm done with you."

"I know you can beat me up" Charlie smirked "But you wont."

"And what makes you think I wont?"

"Because if you do anything bad to me, Riley's gonna think you started it. I mean, you really think Riley's gonna go back to you when she realizes that you beat up her new friend and soon to be better boyfriend? Get over it Friar, she doesn't love you anymore, and besides, weren't you the one who left her in the first place?"

Lucas clenched his fists as felt his anger rise. Just when he thought that Charlie had changed, he couldn't be more wrong.

"Alright" Riley suddenly came back with smoothies "Smoothies for 3!"

But as she handed them their smoothies, Lucas kept his eyes on Charlie with a mad look as he squeezed his smoothie cup until it broke as the smoothie poured out and onto the table.

"Uh, if you didn't want strawberry Lucas you could of just told me" Riley said with a small laugh.

But Lucas just kept his eyes on Charlie who gave him a sneaky smile. All he was thinking about was a way to tell Riley the truth about Charlie, but he need a way so she would believe him.