Hospital Bells

When I woke up, there was a soft beeping noise, and a figure in a chair. The figure I recognized immediately; how could I not? It was Angela.

"Hey," I tried to sit up. I groaned.

"I thought you were going to die," she said. "You weren't responding for months." My eyes opened as I realised what was happening.

"What year is it?" I had panic in my voice.

"2022, June."

"Where's Phil?" As soon as I asked that, I remembered: he's gone.

"He's back at home in Rawtenstall with Amanda. He came here about a month ago to see how you were doing." Phil's alive?! But, he was dead... how is that possible?

"Wait, I thought he died? Angela, you don't have to pretend for my sake," she looked at me like I was outside in the middle of winter with shorts and a tank top on.

"What do you mean, he died? He was in an accident about a year ago, but he's fine, Dan." she laughed. I had the most stunned look on my face. I wanted to ask about the baby, but what if that wasn't true either? What if everything I thought was real was all a dream? Just a wisp of fake reality floating around me?

"The baby is fine, Dan, thanks for asking," she stood up and walked closer to me. Only then could I see that she was about 6 months along. She grabbed my hand. It felt wrong. I didn't want to see her here. Not that she was a nuisance, I only wanted Phil, especially if he was still alive.

"I called Phil. He's grabbing the next available flight." she leaned in and kissed my forehead. I sat up and it set off an alarm. All of a sudden, four nurses rushed in from no where and began strapping me to the bed. I tried to fight them off, but they were too strong. This wasn't real.

"This is all for you, Daniel," Angela stood up and pulled a needle out of her back pocket. Her eyes turned black when she blinked, her voice went deep and behind her burst into flames. As she stabbed my neck, I shot up in my bed. I looked over at my clock. 10:30 in the morning. I flopped back down onto my pillow. My hand found my face. I was still alive. My neck was fine, no puncture wounds.

There was a loud banging at the front door. I ripped my covers off and threw my bathrobe on as I flew down the stairs. Opening the door, I was startled. I thought I would never see them again. Nothing seemed right about the last couple of days. He couldn't be here. He was gone. There was no possible way in hell that he was here. How could this be? How did he know that he was all I could think of for the past two months. I devoted my time to him, and now he's here. Maybe I wasn't awake. Phil.

"Hi, Dan."