Puppy Luv: Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

            "I… me…" I knew what I wanted to say, but my voice was practically caught in my throat.

            "But, you are my imprint too, so I'll be whatever you want me to be. A friend if you want." He said, taking my silence the wrong way.

            I wanted to say: No, Seth. Not a friend, because I love you too. What I want is to stay here with you. But no, I stood there speechless like a moron.

            "Evy!" my dad called. "Time to go, or else you'll be late for your plane."

            "I just couldn't let you go without knowing. I guess I'll see you around then."

            I should've stopped him. I wanted to stop him. But body wasn't functioning right and I just let him brush past me, his heat radiating off his body. Once he left it got unusually cold in the room.

            I let out a shaky breath, grabbed my bags, and headed downstairs. My dad had Angel on a leash and stared up at me with worried eyes. "Is everything okay?" he asked as I climbed down the last step, "Seth seemed kinda upset when he left."

            "Oh, it's nothing." I said, surprisingly convincing, "He's just sad that I'm leaving."

            "So am I. Maybe you can come back next summer.

            "Yeah, maybe." I shuffled past him and out toward the car. My feet felt like cement and my heart weighed a ton as I climbed in the car. Angel hopped in the back seat and whined softly, probably picking up on my sadness.

            The car ride was long and silent. My dad focused very hard on the road ahead of him, knowing I didn't want to talk. I watched the forest roll past me, all the while thinking about Seth. I was his imprint. He would be whatever I wanted him to be. And it wasn't like I didn't know what I wanted; I did. So why didn't I say anything?

            Finally we reached the airport, and my dad parked the car. It wasn't until we were walking up to the front doors with Angel's leash in my hand that I stopped. I dropped the leash and Angel stopped to look up at me, along with my dad.

            "Evy, what's wrong?" he asked.

            "I can't leave," I whispered.

            "What do you mean?"

            "I mean, I can't leave La Push. I want to stay here with you. I love… it here too much to go."

            "But what about your life in California?"

            "Not even close to as great of a life as it would be here."

            "But Evy… are you sure? I mean, I'd love for you to live here, but this is a big decision."

            "I'm absolutely positive."

            "Alright…" my dad said slowly, "I'll have to call your mother thou-"

            "I know." I interrupted. "But would you mind driving me to the beach? I have to talk to someone."

            "Alright."

            I'm not sure how I knew Seth was at the beach, I guess I just did. He was sitting on that little log where he had left me at the bonfire. His back was slumped and his chin was resting on his hands propped up on his knees. He was just staring out into the ocean by himself.

            I smiled and walked up behind him. I placed my hands over his eyes, just like he had done before.

            "Evy?" he said hopefully.

            "Depends," I said, my small smile turning into a huge grin, "who do you wish it was?"

            He stood up, turned around, and took my hands off his face. But he didn't let them go. "You're my every choice."

            "Wow, corny much?"

            "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be boarding your plane by now."

            "Yeah, if I was going back to California. But I'm not. I'm staying in La Push."

            "What? But your mom…"

            "My dad already called her, and she's perfectly okay with it. A little upset that I won't be there anymore, but she has Derek. Ya know he proposed? That's probably why he wanted to go alone with her."

            "But, why are you staying?"

            "Uh, to stay with you, duh. That's what people usually do when they love someone, they stay with them."

            Seth froze and looked at me with wide eyes. "You love me?" he asked in shock.

            "Of course, why wouldn't I?" I said like it was obvious. "I'm not sure why I didn't say anything before. I tried to, but I guess I really couldn't get it through my head that I was your imprint."

            We stood there in silence for a little bit, the only sound being the gushing wind and the crashing waves. Then I felt the first drop of moisture on my face. Little by little more came down, until it was pouring rain.

            I looked up at the clouds and smiled, and then looked back at Seth, who was staring at me with intense brown eyes. He slowly lifted up my chin and brought it slowly up to his lips. But he was taking too long, so I grabbed a fistful of his hair and him. At first he was surprised, but then he kissed on back.

            Kissing in the rain: now that was corny. But it's not like I'm complaining.