III

He kept coming back, month after month, and I found myself looking forward to something for once in my pitiful life. He made me feel like I was worth something, that I was a valid human being with real feelings, rather than an animal inconveniencing the proper humans.

I knew that what we were doing was risky; I knew from the very beginning. And yet, I couldn't find the will to care. How could something that felt so right to us be so shameful and disgusting to the rest of the world?

Draco had told me all about segregation like this. About the Jim Crow laws that were imposed upon black people in America two centuries ago and the discrimination that they faced. It was frighteningly similar to the present day, except nobody cared about skin colour anymore. It was about genes. History always has a way of repeating itself, and in the most unpleasant ways possible. Why can't people learn from their past mistakes and move on, rather than choosing to ignore their wrongdoings and destroy all the progress that has been made?

I may not have had an education, but I still reckoned I would have been a more rational and kind-hearted member of parliament than anyone in the House of Commons, who looked only for their own personal gain and not for the welfare of others.

"Harry?" I was snapped out of my trance by a certain blond. "Sorry, what did you say Draco?"

"How long do you think we can keep doing this? We can't ever go further in our...well whatever this is, because it's illegal. Hell, even my being here could get us both arrested. We're bound to get caught at some point."

"But we haven't yet, have we? You're better at sneaking around than I thought you would've been."

"Seriously, Harry. It's got to end at some point and we both know it, despite the fact that I wish it didn't."

"Make this your last time then. It pains me to say it but you're right. I know we both wanted more but it isn't possible. So stay, just for another hour, and then say goodbye, forever. No one ever need know about the past six months."

"I think I'm in love with you, you know." I sat still for a moment, feeling a warm, fluttering feeling within my chest.

"I think I'm in love with you t-"

"Nobody move! You're under arrest for participating in a prohibited relationship as stated by decree thirty two of the Genetic Charter. You have the right to remain silent."

Four members of the Genetic Law Enforcement burst through my open doorway and into my pitiful house. One had a gun aimed straight at me, another was aiming at Draco. I had never been more terrified in my life - the fluttering feeling had turned to the sensation of a thousand knives, all stabbing me in the chest at once - and I felt like I was about to throw up.

Instead I raised my shaking arms above my head and sat there, waiting for someone to do something. Out of the corner of my eye I could see Draco mirroring my actions.

"Stand up and turn around.", barked the same officer as before. I did as I was told. My hands were roughly grabbed and handcuffed tightly behind my back, the metal cutting into my wrists. I felt the barrel of the gun being pressed into my back and I gulped.

"Start walking, scum.", the man hissed in my ear, so I turned slowly and walked out of the door, flanked by two of the four officers. I knew that the other two were following with Draco. I walked with my head bowed in cowardice, hardly daring to look up, knowing that people would be watching from their doorways and shaking their heads in pity. There were no pretences - everyone knew that I wasn't going to be coming back.

At the end of my road I saw a parked GLE van, sirens flashing. Of course, attract everyone's attention to deter them from doing it too. Or perhaps they were just trying to humiliate us as much as possible.

Once we reached the van, both Draco and I were unceremoniously thrown into the back, and the doors were bolted with a harsh clang. All four officers got into the front of the van, telling the fifth one who had been left there to drive. And so we started towards the city.

*.    *.    *.    *.    *.    

I watched as the two boys were dragged out of Potter's house. I felt a little bad for them, naturally, but when you've lived here for your whole life, you learn not to get too attached. They were pretty good at hiding their relationship really, I don't think a single soul in this town knew about the blond one the whole time he was coming here.

But unfortunately for them, I live opposite where they were committing their sinful act. If it weren't for me, they probably would've got away with the whole thing, no one would ever even dream of it happening.

But food is food, money is money, and I didn't have either. Obviously I went to the GLE, seeing an opportunity. And they gave it to me. They gave me it all for the information I had on those boys and where they could find them.

No, I don't regret what I did. Not one bit, even if I rot in hell for eternity. Because out here, you do what you can to survive another day, it's every man for himself. And if that means sacrificing the lives of others then so be it. I'm not the one in the prison van now, am I?