Ch. 2: Pre-Season

In one week I was going to be a junior. My entire summer had practically revolved around football between conditioning, camps, training, practices, and scrimmages. Not that I didn't dedicate myself any other year, but this season was significant.

The starting wide reciever had just graduated and the position was now between Gary Hepford (another junior), a sophomore, and me. Gary had talent, maybe even enough to fill the shoes of last year's WR, but he never worked hard enough to reach his full potential. Back when conditioning was optional, he was the guy who only showed up when he wanted to; but when he did, I'll admit he worked hard. Cocky son of a bitch though.

Honestly, I was paranoid I would spend another whole season on the bench. It's unbearable to sit and watch your team lose when you know you can help, but have no control over whether the coach will put you in or not. It may be even worse when they're winning and you're dying to join in. As selfish as it sounds, every benchwarmer feels that way.

This Friday is our first scrimmage, and a week ago the coach pulled me off to the side after practice.

"Sup Coach?"

"Listen, Delmont, I've seen your dedication and hard work all summer. You've really managed to stand out."

"Thank you Coach." I held back a smile anticipating what he'll say next.

"Our first game is right around the corner, and I wanna be 100% sure you're ready. You give me everything you have left in these next few days, and you got yourself a starting position." Coach said with a smirk slightly etched into his stony, slightly wrinkled face.

I felt a wide grin break through, unable to contain my happiness. Every week, every hour, an every minute was about to prove itself worth my time. I finally earned my chance.

"Thank you so much Coach, I'll try not to let you down."

"Don't." He replied chuckling. With that, I jogged into the locker room.

After the showers, I caught up with my friends walking to the parking lot.

"Ayo Shoes! Tell these fools about when you became an ass man!" Antoine teased. They called me Shoes for my speed, the name has stuck since my freshmen year.

"One hot, summer night..." I joked as he shoved me by the shoulder. Eli and Derek laughed along.

"Speaking of ass, how's Aubrey?" asked Eli.

"Same old shit, different day."

"I feel that," replied Antoine nodding.

Aubrey and I had been dating for almost a year now, I asked her out in late August after spending the majority of last summer with her. She was never the needy or jealous type, but lately that seems to be the case.

"So what was Coach tellin' you?" He continued.

"Just that you're most likely looking at this year's starting wide receiver." I said proudly. My friends were smiling as well.

"Yeah we'll see about that." remarked a voice from behind. It was Gary Hepford who, after glaring at me, plodded straight past us and towards his car. I brushed it off and Antoine, Derek, and Eli lightly laughed in amusement with me.

After a brief ride home and putting my gear away, I greeted my mom in the kitchen cooking dinner and went to join my dad and brother in the living room.

"How was practice?" My dad said focused on Sports Center analyzing a game.

"Good." The shorter the answers, the better.

"Coach say anything about positions?" He pressed.

"No." I lied. Tyler gave me a nervous look. Over the years he's learned how to read my expression and tell when there's something I'm keeping to myself.

If I told my dad what Coach said to me after practice, he'd gets his hopes too high. I don't want something to go wrong and disappoint him then have to hear about it for the next four months.

"And the first game's one week away." He mumbled to himself.

That was the most we said to each other for the rest of the evening.