14: Da Boot

I yawned and stretched my arms as I fluttered my eyes open. The spot next to me was empty, but still warm. I looked over at the clock: eight o'clock. I rolled out of bed, grabbed my crutches and moved downstairs.

"Ah, there's the lovely lady," Ashton smiles at me from the couch. I walk over and sit down next to him and lean my head on his shoulder. "Good morning."

I groan in response.

“Are you ready for fun before your cousin gets home?”

“What are we going to do? I’m feeling lazy today so as long as it involved sitting and food, I’m happy.”

“Well I want to keep you happy so I have just the thing!”

“What is it?”

“It’s a surprise. And don’t try to ask me again ‘cause I’m not telling. Now, go get ready.”

“Fine,” I stick my tongue out at him and go back upstairs after grabbing an apple. I change into some dark jean shorts, a white, loose tan top, my white Converses and a red bandana in my loose, blue hair. I took some of my ‘magic spray’ and scrunched my hair into some beach waves. I looked in the mirror satisfied and went back downstairs. “Do I look OK for this super-secret adventure,” I asked Ash, looking down at the one shoe and pink cast with lots of signatures. When I looked up, I saw Ashton just staring at me and then finally snapped out of his reverie and nodded his head. OK, I was decent enough.

We lead me outside and Ash shook my hair on the way out saying, “You look good, mop head.”

“Isn’t that Harry’s nickname?”

“Yeah, you look like him today,” he winks and helps me in the car. He drives around, finally stops on a small street, and walks me into an ice cream parlor. I sit at one of the tall tables and set my crutches to the side. He goes to the counter and orders us some ice cream. He comes to the table after a few minutes with two cups of the cold, brown cream. He sets the lighter one down in front of me and sits in the seat across from me. I take a spoonful in my mouth and the creamy, peanuty flovour explodes.

“Mmm… Thank you, Ash,” I mumble as he smiles with his ice cream in his mouth. “What did you get?” I take a spoonful out of his cup before he can stop me and I shove it in my mouth.

“Hey,” he protests as I eat his ice cream.

“Mm… This one is good too. Very chocolatey.”

--------------------------------------------------

“Hi, Mikey,” I smile and wave at him as he comes through the door.

“Ash, Jose said you can use the Prius. I just texted you the address.” Ashton nods his head and stands up. Michael turns to me and continues, “Payson, are you ready to go?”

“Oh, yeah. My doctor’s appointment is today. Huh,” I say and follow Ashton and Michael outside. Ashton goes to the small, silver car off to the side and waves goodbye while Michael and I hop into another car and head to the same hospital I was taken to before for a checkup. After a 20 minute wait and the signing of lots of papers, we finally go into the doctor’s room. A nurse helps me onto the cold table and told us that the doctor would be in in a minute. Michael takes the seat next to the table and pulls out his phone.

“Mikey? How much longer do you think I will have to keep this cast on,” I whisper and he turns to me.

“Well, the doctor only said it was a minor fracture and he did take extra precautions with the cast. But with the care Ashton has been giving you, I have no idea.” He shrugged and turned back to his phone, most likely playing video games.