6: Rule Time!

Michael's PoV:

When we get home, Ashton and Luke help Payson upstairs while Calum runs off and I go make a phone call. I make my way outside and dial management's number.

"Michael," management answers.

"Hey. We kinda have a situation here. You know how I am having my cousin stay with me this summer?"

"Yes," they ask nervous.

"Well she kinda got in a little accident and needs someone to watch her during the day."

"OK, we can hire a nurse to watch her if you would like, but it would be out of your funds."

"No. Actually, I was thinking maybe me or one of the boys could do it. She's really shy," I lie.

"Well, we were going to cut down on Ashton's studio time. We could have him do it and have him come in on the days we don't need you. Is that alright?"

"Yeah. Sure! That's great!"

"OK, we will let Ashton know right away. Thank you for calling. Have a great day, Michael."

"You too," I say just as they hang up.

I can't believe they were planning on cutting Ashton's studio time, I think to myself and go back inside for a snack.

Payson's PoV:

Luke and Ashton have just finished helping me into bed.

"I don't need all this help. I think I'll be fine on my own. It's just a broken leg," I complains as Luke picks up the water bottle that fell on the floor.

"It's just right now while you are getting used to not having a leg," Luke laughs, setting the water bottle on the table.

"Plus," Ashton adds, lying himself down next to me, "we want to help you." I look over at him and smile, Ashton doing the same.

"Maybe I should just leave Ashton here since he enjoys it so much," Luke laughs backing out of the room. I laugh and pretend to try and pull him back in.

"Come on, Luke. Don't leave," I laugh just as Ashton phone starts to buzz from his back pocket.

"It's management. Luke, can you stay here while I take this?" Luke nods and Ashton leaves the room, answering the call.

"You like him helping you," Luke asks, sitting at the foot of the bed.

"No. I think I just like him being here," I laugh. "He's good company."

"Sure," Luke laughs. "So, I wonder what your nurse will be like."

"What do you mean?"

"Well the doctor said you had to have somebody around at all times so they must be sending a nurse."

"No. He didn't say anything about a nurse. I think one of you guys will have to stay with me," I explain.

"Well, it may be summer, but we still have to go to the studio."

"Isn't it just outside?"

"That's our home studio. Most of the time we go somewhere else."

"Oh," I say monotonically. "Then how is this going to work? You don't think Michael will send me home, do you?" I say, starting to get disappointed with myself.

"No. He would never. There must be something we can do," he says, bringing me in for a hug just as he notices my eyes become glossy. Just then, Ashton busts through the door and jumps over to the bed.

"What's got you in such a good mood," I laugh.

"Well, would you like to hear the good news first or the good news first?"

Luke and I laugh and I answer with a smile, "Good."

"OK, so management said they I don't have to go to the studio as often. Awesome! Plus, I get to watch Payson during the day!"

"Really," Luke and I ask simultaneously.

"Yeah!"

"Wow. That's great," Luke says. "See? I told you they would figure something out. Michael would never send you home." I give Luke a hug before Ashton gives my hand a squeeze.

"Ashton," Michael yells from downstairs and Ashton turns around to find Michael standing in the doorway. "It's rule time!"