Chapter 1

Nikki began pacing the room. She checked the time. It was 5:30 a.m. The date was 17th May 2015. She had to meet him and tell him the truth, she had to make sure her secrets are unravelled, or else she may lose the only boy whose welfare mattered to her the most; she could lose Brandon.

By 7:30 a.m. she was already in school, carrying her first period's books, waiting by Brandon's locker to talk with him. She prayed that he would come soon, but surely God had not heard her prayers. Soon the first warning bell rang, and he was still nowhere to be seen. She scurried to class, half relieved that she did not have to deal with him, and half annoyed that the discussion cannot be left unsaid.

Now Nikki was definitely paranoid. Even her BFFs, Chloe and Zoey noticed. As lunch rolled by, Nikki was on her way back to class when she saw a glimpse of rich dark brown hair that she knew only Brandon has. She quickly hurried to where Brandon was standing, but unfortunately bumped into a wall, or more specifically a rock hard body. She landed on the floor on her back and heard a concerned voice say, "Hey, are you okay?" She was sure that the voice did not belong to Brandon, even though he had asked her that same question twice in September. That was when Nikki finally noticed a hand reached out at her. She finally gripped it and the boy pulled her up. Due to momentum, she tilted her head up and was met by a vibrant pair of green eyes. He had blonde hair and judging by his facial hair, he was most probably a senior. She heard a cough from somewhere and came back into reality that she was still holding the stranger's hand, and Brandon was having a very forced coughing show. She blushed slightly and let go of the blonde teen's hand and stammered, "Yeah, I'm alright. Thanks."

"No problem." He smiled a lingering smile, and walked on, not glancing back. Nikki, however, stared at his back in a daze until she felt a very masculine, yet gentle grip on her shoulder; Brandon's. She turned around and looked at the face that she had memorized so well. He showed a small smile, and Nikki could not help but smile back. And to break their peaceful moment, the bell that signalled that classes started rung. Both students shook out of their reverie and Brandon asked, "Want to walk to bio together?" while giving his famous goofy smile. "Sure." Nikki answered, but she couldn't help but feel that everything is going to change after she had her talk with him.

~After Biology~

This is now or never, Nikki thought. She could not prolong this any longer. "Brandon, could we please talk? Privately?" Nikki stared at the floor while she said this, she did not want to lose the grain of confidence that she had left. "Sure Nikki". Brandon replied. Nikki exhaled, relieved and anxious. They were exactly outside the janitor's room at that time and Nikki subtly pointed to the door with her head, she still did not want to hold Brandon's intense gaze. Brandon understood the signal and slowly opened the door with his right hand while searching for a light switch with his left. When the light turned on, like a typical gentleman, he waited for Nikki to enter first. Wow, she's so shy yet beautiful, I think now is the perfect time to break the ice, I can't keep living like this, Brandon thought.

When Nikki and Brandon settled in the room, with the handle of the room jammed, they sat in an uncomfortable silence; they both understood that after this conversation, many things will change. Not able to bear the thought anymore, Nikki broke out into a whimper, "Br...Brandon, I...I'm leaving tomorrow and I don't know when I will come back.", by now tears were pricking Nikki's eyes, and to make matters worse, all the fun times that Brandon and she shared passed through her mind like a high speed slideshow; when they were at Fuzzy Friends; Brandon taking her picture when she won 1st place for the Avant Grade Art Competition; them dancing with each other during the Halloween dance; performing in the Talent Show; him giving her tips on the newspaper committee; them dancing at the Sweetheart Dance and recently him kissing her at their band's Meet-Up. Then, suddenly at that thought she blushed not only because of that but also because Brandon was now holding her tightly against his chest.

Brandon, on the other hand, could not bear it. Even though he was stroking Nikki's hair to show that he cares, he knows that he only wants to prevent her from seeing him cry. How could he not? He did not even get a chance to date this girl, or even call her his girlfriend. He began scolding himself that if he just had the courage sooner, he may have had a chance to show her how much she meant to him. How much she had changed his life. How much she showed him that there is joy despite losing his parents. Only she understood everything about him.

They must have sat in that position for a few minutes before Nikki slowly lifted her head up to meet Brandon's chocolate brown eyes. Brandon's eyes did meet hers and he tried to search for some twinkle of mischief that it was all a lie; that she would never leave him. However, no such luck.

"I.I..I'm sorry Brandon." Nikki began. "My dad got a job on the other side of the city and we are moving there. He told me this last week, and I haven't been myself since that day. I haven't even told Chloe and Zoey yet. It's just that I'm going to miss so many things that I love here like the school, my best friends and....you." Nikki whispered the last word, hoping that Brandon did not hear it. She could not believe that she was going to leave the only boy that she had a major crush on just for some job that her dad found on the other side of the city. So what if it pays better? She knew that she could never find friends like the ones that she already had.

But Brandon did hear it, and this began the building of questions like, Why did she not include me as her best friend?, Does it mean that she loves me like a brother?, Does she like me?, and Does she want us to be more than friends? The hurricane of questions was too much for him and he decided that he had to tackle it like a man, not a scared boy. But just as he was about to put on his big man's pants and ask her, Nikki's phone rang, which broke Nikki's train of thought, and sucked out Brandon's confidence.

Nikki glanced at her phone and saw that it was her Mom calling. Deciding within herself that it was better to leave then, she cut the call and wiped her tears, "Again Brandon, I'm sorry for many things that have happened, any stupid mistakes that I have done and for coming to this school. If I had not come here, I am sure that you would not be like this right now. Hopefully, we can meet again, someday." She turned around to go out but a hand was holding her back, Brandon's hand.

She looked at his hand, and Brandon suddenly let go like her eyes would burn his hand if she wanted to. Then he lightly caressed her check and wiped any remaining tears; he could not leave her like this, sad and crying. Their forever for now goodbye must be happy and remembered. So he did the only thing that his boyish 14 year old mind could think of as romantic and unforgettable, he kissed her.

First it started as a peck on the lips. After assuring himself that Nikki would not pull away, he kissed her again. It was even better than the time he payed $5 to kiss her.

Nikki was shocked by it first, but could not do anything but kiss back. It was the only thing that she ever dreamed of and it was happening in reality. It was her very own fairytale moment that ended too soon for her, but ever-lasting.

They looked at each other and their eyes silently said their goodbyes and Nikki and Brandon went their own ways, both not able to shake of the electricity and energy that passed through them when their lips locked in place like a lock and key. They were each others' first kiss.

And even though they were still young and diverted their eyes whenever they saw other couples, they did not do it this time. This time they accepted, they accepted that whatever they had was the same and this is beautiful.