Chapter 18: That Birthday

I woke up again and stretched. I looked at my desk, a somnolent feeling still inside of me.

Getting out of bed, I slowly walked over to the desk and looked at my deck.

"Still there, huh...?"

So it wasn't a dream. I knew it was too good to be true, and too realistic. I stared at my deck on top of my desk for a few more moments, and rubbed my eyes while still facing my desk.

Then I turned away, got dressed in the uniform forced on me by Gozaburo, walked over to the door, and slowly trudged out of the door and down the hall.

I sat down on the couch, but not for long.

Mokuba came in and sat down. A few minutes later, Gozaburo walked in. We hadn't been sitting down for that long. I'm guessing around eight minutes.

"He looks the same way he normally does. Does Gozaburo even get tired?" I thought.

"Seto, Mokuba, come with me. There's something I want to give you. Preferably Seto." He said with a stern look.

I looked at Mokuba and nodded. Mokuba nodded at me as well.

Mokuba and I stood up from the couch. We followed Gozaburo up into a room in the third hall at the very end of the hall. We all walked inside.

Gozaburo sat at the very first chair while I sat at the very last chair, vertically across from Gozaburo so I was facing him. Mokuba stood next to me.

A man I didn't recognize came in and introduced himself as Leichter. Looking at the hair, I realized he was the driver from yesterday. Shortly after he came in, the butler followed. The butler was wheeling something in with him. He stood the object up next to him. It was a huge dolly, but what was all that stuff under the sheet?

"Remove the sheet." Gozaburo instructed. Placing his hand on the sheet, he ripped it away, revealing all the money on the dolly. Maybe ten million dollars? It's not like Gozaburo would give me that much money.

Leichter had brown hair and a goatee. His hair was spiked up, kinda like a mohawk, and he wore a closed blue blazer and blue pants. He wore a white shirt underneath the suit, along with a red tie. His skin appeared tanned and he wore brown dress shoes.

"Seto, I'm giving you ten million dollars." Gozaburo said, looking right at me in the eyes.

"What?!" I said in astonishment. Was he actually serious!? But why?!

Guess I thought too soon. You know, about the money thing earlier.

Gozaburo held up a finger.

"But there's a catch. You have to pay me back twice the amount of this money by next year, or else I'm sending you and Mokuba back to the orphanage. Leichter here can help you." He said, motioning Leitcher to walk over to us.

Leichter walked over to me.

"I'll try to help you, Seto. Whatever I can do, I'll try my best to help."

I nodded.

"If you can prove to me that you can pay me back with twice the amount of money, then I'll know that you're truly capable to be running Kaiba Corporation. You're dismissed." Gozaburo said as he got up from his end of the table. He walked out of the room.

I got up from the table and Mokuba followed me, as did Leichter.

"I don't want to wait a whole year. Let's try today." I said.

"But sir-!" Leichter began to speak. I cut him off.

"Leichter, this'll be tough...and I know just the way on how I can do this." I replied, turning around to look at him.

Leichter nodded.

I walked down the hallway and made my way to Noah's room. I was just in time as well, as he had just opened the door to his room as soon as Leichter, Mokuba, and I were outside of his room.

"Noah, can I use your computer for a moment?" I asked.

Noah nodded quickly and walked out of the room. I'd also be confused if I were him.

I pulled up google chrome and typed in the place we were gonna go to in the search bar.

"There. We'll go here." I said, pointing at the screen. I turned around to Leichter and Mokuba. They were looking at the screen. I got out of the way so they could see better.

They leaned towards the computer screen. After they finished, they both turned to me and nodded.

I exited off the tab and walked back out. Noah was waiting for us.

"You can use it now." I said.

"Did you do everything you had to do?"

I nodded. Noah walked back in his room and closed the door behind him.

We walked outside and got into the limo as Leichter drove in the driver's seat. I told him the route we had to drive on in order to get to our destination. It was also another orphanage for kids like the one Mokuba and I stayed at for a while.

Soon, we rolled into the parking lot.

"Is this the place?" Leichter asked.

"Yeah, this is it." I said.

We got out of the car and walked inside. We walked all the way up to the manager's room.

"Hey, you!" I shouted, pointing at him once we opened the door. The manager stood up and turned around in his seat.

"If you don't pay me twice the amount of ten million dollars, I'm going to force you to shut down this orphanage." I said.

"Please don't do that!" The manager pleaded.

"I will!"

"FINE!! I'll give you the money!"

It took a while, but the manager gave me all the money I needed, and a little more. We turned around and walked out after that.

On my way out, I noticed some kids were giving me some confused looks. They were probably wondering what I was doing here since I didn't live in this place like they did.

But either way, they didn't bother me.

With the extra money, I bought a purple trenchcoat which I kept open, and a gray briefcase. When we got home, I told Gozaburo what happened and he believed me.

But was Gozaburo shocked about what happened, you might ask?

Yes he was.

Maybe astonished is more like it.

Noah told me about what Gozaburo was working on and showed it to me, but it was only a quick sneak peek because he said he didn't know what would happen if Gozaburo caught us sneaking in there. Because of that, I didn't think much of it since I didn't get to see much of it.

But after that day, Gozaburo spent more time in that Virtual World room. I wonder what's in there....?

Maybe I'll get a good look at what's in that room for real someday.

I didn't know that it would happen sooner than I thought it would.

End chapter