The Sorting Hat's Song

*********************************Sixth Year**********************************

Cassie lounged in the carriage in her new set of robes; the train was just about to pull into the station after the summer and, although she was dreading the workload that taking her N.E.W.T.s was going to put on her, Cassie was looking forward to returning to Hogwarts.

They climbed out, the slight drizzle creating a haze over the platform, students chatting excitedly to their friends, first years shockingly small in comparison to the seventh years, birds squawking and cats mewling. Cassie navigated the platform easily, heading towards the carriages which would take them up to the castle and jumped into one after Lily, Mary and Alice following them. “Oh,” said Lily as James and Sirius climbed in beside them, taking up the last of the two places. “Look what the cat dragged in.”

“Now now Evans is that any way to treat your future boyfriend,” asked James, feigning hurt.

“No, but you’re not him,” she said acidly, before turning away to discuss her holidays and O.W.L.s with the others. “I was quite proud of my results,” Cassie was saying to Alice and Mary, but was interrupted as they pulled up at the castle and hurried inside to escape from the rain. They took their seats at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall and waited excitedly for the Sorting, chattering as they did so.

“How was your summer Remus?” Lily asked kindly, “I never did ask you on the train.”

“It was good,” he said, “nothing out of the ordinary I suppose. Were you pleased with your O.W.L.s?”

“Yes, very,” she said grinning. “You?”

He nodded, “Definitely. And I have to say, I never would have got the O I did in Ancient Runes if it hadn’t been for Cassie.”

“That’s lucky then, isn’t it,” said Lily smiling, but just before she could say anything else she was stopped by the arrival of the first years. Everyone stopped talking and waited in anticipation as the new students filed up the middle of the hall and stood waiting to be Sorted.

“Oh I might look old and bald
Says he, as he sits upon his stool,
But many, many years I’ve seen
And I’ve understood them all.
I’m a wise hat, I am,
Though I am a hat,
But it doesn’t stop at that;
No, I can see inside your head
And I will until I’m dead.
Houses four there are at school
And houses four there’ll be
And everyone must belong to one,
This job falls to me.
Gryffindor for the brave,
Hufflepuff for the kind,
Ravenclaw for those of wit,
And Slytherin for their mind.
But remember well what I say,
For I’ll only say it once:
The outside world is preparing
A most dangerous hand,
And only if you stick together
Will Hogwarts still stand.
So let not where I place you
Change who you truly are,
But rather, try and be
A better person, in and out,
So that good will win once more.
All this, without a doubt,
Is possible with me, (and Professor Dumbledore).”

At the end of the song the Sorting Hat shut its brim and left the hall in stunned silence, whispers of surprise eventually breaking out. “I don’t remember the Hat saying anything like that before,” murmured Alice.

“No, it’s normally just about the houses and their history,” replied Lily.

“Yeah, I swear last year it was just about the life of the founders,” agreed Cassie as the Sorting began.

“Much less interesting if you ask me,” said Lily with a smirk.

***************************************************************************

The next morning they were sitting in breakfast when McGonagall came round, organising their timetables. “Miss Evans?” she said as she stood beside Lily.