《 kisses and engagement rings 》

i'm very very sorry for taking eons to update but here's 10.6k words so please still love me.

When Sean gazed at her in that half innocent, half tantalizing way he probably wasn't even aware of himself, Flora felt like coming up too fast from a Jacuzzi. Her head spun. With two straps crossed at the nape of her neck, the black dress she wore that evening left her back bare, but even with the air conditioning on at full blast, she was starting to burn up.

"Happy birthday, baby." He slid his hand across the table and touched his fingertips to hers. The champagne she had earlier rushed up and pounded against her temples.

"Thanks for taking me out," she said. Dinner hadn't been served yet, but her stomach with already full with bubbles of euphoria. On their way to the restaurant, Sean had stopped by the street corner and bought all the pink roses available, and now the flowers sat on the empty chair next to her, lighting up her chest with a warm glow.

"I didn't buy you anything this year. Other than the roses." He glanced at his phone for the briefest second before setting it back down. "Unless you want another one of our company gift mugs?"

Flora felt the edge of her mouth tilting up.

"We have a new one manufactured." He smiled. "It's pink. Limited edition."

"I want one! Ever since I was a little girl, I've been waiting for a pink—"

"I'm not kidding. I really didn't buy you anything."

Flora picked up his hand and kissed it, brushing her lips against his knuckles. "It's fine. I mean, it's hard to out-do the Kelly I got last year. And the walk-in closet and the tickets to Paris." As she listed off the items he had given to her over the years, she once again realized how lucky she was. Those were physical items, yes, but each held a special meaning only the two of them understood.

Sean lifted his eyebrows. "Sounds like you're challenging me."

"Nope. I'm simply saying you've given me a lot of good stuff already."

He leaned back in his seat and checked his phone again. "You think I can't come up with anything else to impress you?"

Well, not unless it's a ring.

"You just said you didn't buy me anything. Not that it matters, Sean. I'm happy—"

"Wait. Close your eyes."

"What?"

"Close your eyes, baby."

"Okay, okay." Flora covered her face with both of her hands. It better be a ring, she thought to herself bitterly. Yeah, how likely. 

"I couldn't think of anything...regular to buy you," he started saying, "since you're a girl who has everything already. But then it hit me. You haven't mentioned it in a while, but I know this is what you really want."

Oh my God. Could it be?

Sean had hinted subtlety and had also openly stated how much he did not want to get married, but Flora was certain he saw right through her. Maybe he changed his mind just like he did with the dogs. Hadn't he admitted how much he adored them and how adopting them was her best idea yet?

In just a few seconds, her palms had grown clammy. She willed her heart to stay in place and her brain to do its job. Get a hold of yourself and keep the hopes down. 

"I love you so much." Sean took his time, making her wait since it was what he was best at, driving her crazy in the meantime. "I want to make it extra special for you this year."