Is This Love

I was feeling grumpy and wanted to be left alone.

It was 9:00 at night and once again i was walking home from work because my new car hadn't arrived yet.

I pulled my blond hair out of it's high pony tail and dropped the hair tie into my handbag. I gave my hair a shake and then suddenly there was a black cat on the side walk.

As i walked past i realised that it had green eyes and it looked lonely. I stopped and looked down at it.

I frowned."Wheres your owner?"

I looked around and saw people casually walking past.'Someone must think i'm strange because i'm talking to a cat'.

I bent down and scratched it's ear."Your a long way from home aren't you?" The cat meowed. I stood up and casually walked away. I walked down my court away from the busy streets of the city in Cairns.

Most of the houses had their lights out. I herd the rushing traffic still.

I felt like someone was following me. I turned around and saw that the cat was following me. I stopped and frowned."Go away! Shoo!! Go on! Bugger off." The cat meowed again. I groaned and kept walking to my house.

When i got to the door the cat stood right at my feet and meowed."No your not coming in!" I used my foot to gently push it away. As soon as i opened the door the cat sprinted into the house, heading straight to the couch in the lounge room.

I sighed and closed the door behind me and walked into the lounge room. The cat sat up straight on the couch, staring at me."Fine you can stay. But...don't make a mess."

For some reason it seemed like the cat could actually understand me, like...it was listening to me. I shook my head and walked out, heading up the stairs to my bedroom.

I walked down the hallway and into my bedroom. I threw my handbag on the floor and and laid down on the bed.

After a few seconds the cat jumped up on the bed and started rubbing it's head against my leg."Hey, hey, hey..." i pushed it away."Your not allowed to do that." The cat meowed. I stood up and put the cat on the floor."You can't come up here."

The cat just stared at me. I sighed."Your either sleeping on the floor or i'm kicking you out." The cat went to go scratch my ankle. I jumped back."Hey!! No, none of that!!"

The cat looked up at me with it's big green eyes."Don't give me that look." I shooed it out of my bedroom so i could get dressed and go to bed.

After a few minutes i was laying in bed trying to get to sleep. I closed my door but it was a little bit open.

I herd my door slowly open. Suddenly the cat jumped up on my bed. I was about to sit up and push it off when it curled up in a ball and fell asleep. I sighed.'It is a pretty cute cat.' I rubbed it's head and it started to purr.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up with the sun shining in my eyes. I slowly sat up and realised the cat was gone. I frowned and looked around.'Where is it?'

I herd the tv down stairs. I quickly got out of bed.'What the hell?' I ran down the hallway, down the stairs and into the lounge room.

Straight away i saw my sister on the couch watching tv and stroking the cat."Alyssa!" She quickly looked at me and smiled.

"Hey!" The cat woke up and straight away it jumped off the couch and ran over to me, rubbing it's self against my legs.

"You scared the hell out of me!! She laughed."Sorry." She looked down at the cat."He really likes you." I looked at the cat."He?" She nodded."Yea, he." I nodded.

"Since when did you have a cat!? We always tell each other everything." I smiled and picked the cat up."Last night. I found 'him' on the street and he followed me home."

She stood up."He's pretty cute for a stray." I nodded."Yea." She turned the tv off."So i came here to ask if you wanna have a shopping day together?"

I put the cat down and it ran off somewhere in the house."Alyssa, we went shopping on Wednesday." She shrugged."So." I rolled my eyes."No, i'm not going shopping with you."

She sighed."Please!" I pulled her towards the door."Talk to ya later." I closed the door and left her outside.

I shook my head and turned around. Standing in front of me was the cat. I jumped a little bit.

"Jeez, you scared me." The cat meowed and ran into the kitchen. I frowned and followed it.

The cat looked at the fridge and kept meowing. I opened it and looked inside."Hungry are you?"

It pushed past and looked into the fridge."I don't have anything you can eat." It looked up at me with a sad look on it's face."What!? I can't do anything about it. I can give you milk?" The cat meowed."Milk it is." I grabbed a bowl out and poured some milk into it. Straight away the cat started drinking it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was about to leave for work. I set up a heap of pillows and blankets on the floor for the cat and a large bowl of milk. Further away i laid out a newspaper. I looked at the cat.

"Ok so your bed is there, you have milk and when you go to the toilet...do it on the newspaper." I walked up to the door."I'll be back at 9."

I opened the door and locked it behind me.After a few minutes i walked into work and started straight away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was 9:00 and i finally got home. When i was unlocking the door i realised there was a light on upstairs and the dining room light was on.

I started to panic and i slowly opened the door. Straight away i saw a massive mess. I gasped and dropped my handbag along with my house keys.

I closed the door behind me. The bowl of milk had been tipped over and the blankets and pillows were everywhere. One of my vase had been knocked over and it shattered all over the wooden floorboards.

On the corner of the table was blood everywhere.

A painting had been knocked down and one of the chairs at the table was knocked over.

I looked into the lounge room. That was ok.

I slowly walked into the kitchen. The fridge was open and there was food everywhere.

The cupboards were open and there was smashed glass everywhere.

The window above the kitchen sink was open. I frowned.

On the bench were cat paws made out of tomato sauce heading outside the window.

Then there was the same pair of tomato cat paws coming into the house from the window.

The cat paws led out the other side of the kitchen. I grabbed a metal pot and followed the tiny little paws.

Suddenly the cat paws grew bigger and bigger. I gasped when the trail of cat paws turned into a trail of

human feet.