Setting The Wolf Free - Ch 63

Start from the beginning

Sakura nods her slowly, brows furrowing with confusion as she too stares down at the small bed, hands resting on her knees. Ino purses her lips in thought, before looking to Tenten beside her, as the brunette shrugs her shoulders.

“I don’t see how Yukimaru could even move in his condition” Shizune sighs softly, kneeling in front of the futon, “Let alone disappear in the middle of the night.”

“Hey Naruto” Kiba addresses, turning his attention to the blonde fiddling with his backpack in the corner of the room, “You were right here in the room with Yukimaru. Didn’t you see anything?”

“’Fraid not” is the lack lustre reply, with Naruto not even bothering to turn around.

“Heh” Kiba scoffs, smirking despite his dispirited mood, “Some Ninja you are, but what can you expect from a Genin?”

“Shut up” Naruto mutters irritably, rolling his eyes as he stuffs a familiar black cloth into his backpack. Now wasn’t the time to bring it up, and he didn’t want to bring Kiba’s mood down any further, despite how annoying the Inuzuka was being.

“You slept right through it too anyway” Naruto adds pointedly, glancing back as Kiba takes a step forwards.

“So?” the tall brunette challenges, clenching his fist. “I’m not the one who claims to be Mister Super Stamina, and besides, you were the one sitting right next to the kid all night!”

“Stop it you two!” Sakura barks, before momentarily closing her eyes. “I get that you two are upset about the events that have taken place in the last few days, but arguing isn’t going to help.”

“Yukimaru doesn’t have anywhere to go” Hinata speaks up quietly, hands clasped together in a nervous way. “H-He could be anywhere by now….”

“We must find him!” Lee exclaims determinedly, sitting beside Yukimaru’s bed.

“There’s no need for that” Shino speaks up, leaning against the wall on the opposite side of the room. “We were only interested in the boy because of his ability to control the Three Tails. Now that he’s lost these powers, he’s no longer our concern….”

“His powers are not the issue here!” Lee argues nobly, rushing over to Shino. “We cannot just-”

“Shino’s right Lee” Kakashi interrupts, strolling past the room and gesturing towards the front door. “It’s not our job to go chasing after runaways.”

“Besides” Yamato pipes up, following after Kakashi, “Lady Tsunade has given us our orders, and the relief team is already here.”

“Yes but….” Lee trails off, before looking to Naruto for back up. “Naruto, help me out! Do you agree with them?”

“Yep” is the blonde’s breezy reply as he walks right past Lee. “Nothin we can do about it. Don’t worry, he’ll be alright.”

Everyone blinks in confusion at Naruto’s unenthusiastic reply. He’d seen so keen on helping Yukimaru before, so what had changed his tune all of the sudden?

“Naruto?” Sakura questions, her green eyes wide, as Kiba merely rolls his and leans down to lift up his backpack.

“Who knows where the kid ran off to?” the Inuzuka mutters as he exits the room, shoulders a little hunched. “Maybe he disappeared to join the Akatsuki too.”

“Poor Kiba-kun” Hinata sighs sadly, exchanging worried glances with Ino, Sakura and Tenten. “He seems so down.”

“Can’t say I really blame him I guess” Ino says with a shrug, an unsure look in her eyes. “He says he thinks Ashley’s only pretending, but I bet he’s worried that she’s really not.”