Chapter 13: Ethan and Kendall

No. Frickin. Way. Finally. Finally. They broke up. The cafeteria was almost silent. Almost. Kendall stood there, feet planted onto the ground. Tears started to accumulate in her eyes and she stormed off. Again. Ethan stormed off in the other direction. "Zoe, did you just ruin a relationship?" Mary asked. "Maybe." I replied. The silence was broken when students everywhere started buzzing about. The great breakup was the center of attention in Springfield High.
"Damn, now she's going to bitch about it all the time." Grace rolled her eyes. "Live and learn, sister." I said, grinning in Kendall's general direction. Wherever she was. Probably in the bathroom, where most girls cry when they need to.
I have to admit, I felt kind of bad but hey, she's got to learn. Don't bitch about it to everyone, Kendall.

. . .

After school, I went to my locker to put my text book away. I really don't get how movies get all these ideas that high schools have big lockers because they don't. Just like middle schools, high school have half-lockers. Unfortunately, mine was on the bottom. Above me, was one of my classmate's, who happened to be really short. "Hey, Zoe." She said. "Hey, Robin." I replied, not bothering too look up.
"I hope you don't mind that I decided to switch lockers with someone who has a bottom locker. Because, you know, I'm not that tall." She took her lock off and grabbed all her stuff, which happened to not be that much. "Okay." I replied.
Someone else strolled over to that locker and put all of his stuff in it. He was taller than me, which is too bad. Maybe if he was shorter, I'd ask him to switch. I clicked my lock and stood up. Then instantly wished I stayed down.
What the hell was he doing here?
"What are you doing here, Ethan?" I asked. "Going to my locker." He said. Frick. Goddamn it, Robin. "Oh... your locker is above mine now...?" I asked, you know, just to be sure. "Yeah," He showed me his signature crooked smile. "That okay?" I nodded. "Yeah." I couldn't help but blush a little bit, I did kiss him.
There was a short silence as he was putting his books away. "Hey, you want to go down to the park?" He asked and shut his locker.
I don't regret saying yes. We walked together down to the park next to our school. It wasn't anything special, just a grassy field with a baseball diamond and a swing set. I dropped my backpack and sat down on one of the creaky old swings. Ethan say down next to me.
I swung myself back and forth a few times before saying, "Do you think Kendall's okay?" Bad subject.
He looked up to the sky, like there was some math equation he was solving up there. "I don't know... it's kind of hard to tell with someone like her." It was like venom dripped from his voice as he said 'her'. I waited for him to say more, and so he did. "Our relationship felt... rushed. I wasn't really thinking straight when I said yes and I didn't really know her." Silence. I hadn't really considered how Ethan felt or why he said yes. I was only thinking about myself... and Kendall.
"I'm sorry." I said. "What for?" He stared at me, but I wouldn't look at him. "That you had to be with someone like her," I copied the way he said 'her'. "She used to be my friend, but she was always kind of shady towards my other friends... she didn't exactly fit in our friend group." I continued. "Regardless, she just proved my friends' suspicions to be true." I didn't exactly want to remember Kendall's little outbreak of not only acne, but her intentions.
Ethan chuckled a little. "What's so funny?" I asked and blushed a little. "Nothing, it's just everyone seems to have the same opinion of her, my friends too." I smiled.
"Tha--" I was cut off from a buzzing coming from my pocket. I read the name: Cassie? I held my phone up to my ear. "Uh, hello?"
"Zoe, you haven't noticed your phone blowing up?"
"No... why would it?"
"What do you mean? Why wouldn't it?"
I remembered this morning. Of course Kendall was going to say something stupid, it's what she does best. "I'll call you later." I said and hung up.
"What's going on?" Ethan asked. I stared at my phone. 346 notifications. "Holy shit," I said. "I've never gotten this many notifications in one day."
"So what's up?" He said.
"Apparently Kendall wants to 'talk' to me tomorrow after school." My expression was blank. It soon morphed into a smirk. "What are you smiling about?" Ethan said but smiled a little too. "There's no way in hell I'll let her show me up." I said and glanced over at the school. I opened my phone and started typing. 'Name a time and place, I'll be there.'
"I'm coming, too." Ethan stated. "Thanks." I smiled. He smiled back.

"I guess we'll see what she has to say."

FInaLly PuBliShed ThIs ONe.