Chapter one - A welcome back?

The clicking of heels against wood was audible in the tensed atmosphere that lingered in the air while we made our way to the end of the pier. The day was still young, as the sun was still playing hide and seek behind the trees in the woods. It had been quiet for awhile before the wind started howling. The wind that came out of the woods brought with it a smell that didn't forecast much good. As if it was warning me to go back before it was too late.

As if it was warning me to not make the mistake of coming here. I didn't understand where this was coming from and why but what I do know is that it made chills run down my spine, starting at the nape of my neck.

Not one dared to say a word as we all stood there in silence, assessing our surroundings, being alone with our thoughts and wondering about what is to come.

It's been more than two days since I was shipped off to France by my uncle. We were all tired and in desperate need of sleep. Unfortunately, the day had yet to begin. We were to ride to the French court where there will be held a ball in my honor. Was I trying to figure out ways to not show up at that ball? Definitely.

Maybe I suffered from a cold on my way here?

Or maybe I had been kidnapped?

I really didn't want to go but unfortunately, my back was against a wall. A large wall at that too.

Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted by someone clearing their throat.

I looked away from the direction I was looking in and turned my head a little over my shoulder.

"Your Grace, we should really go now. We still have a four-hour ride to go" my counselor, Charles, said. The only man I trusted. Someone I listened to and who could make me listen to him. He was more than a father to me than my own had ever been.

A sigh escaped my lips as I looked ahead of me again. "Yes, we must, Charles."

I turned my body to the direction my carriage was in and started walking. When I arrived at the carriage one of my servants helped me getting in. I thanked him and sat on the seat.

Not much later my two ladies-in-waiting, Isabella and Louisa, entered the carriage too. The people I envied the most. Why I envied them so much? To explain; most people didn't expect as much of them as they do of me. People have been watching me since the day I was born. I had to learn different languages from the age of five. Only because I am to be Queen one day. Not only that but I had to learn politics too. Which child wants to do those things instead of running and playing around in the garden? I think none.

"I'm so so excited!!" Louise squeaked while she clapped her hands. "The parties, the dresses, the men," she sighed dreamily at the last part. I couldn't help but smile while I shared a look with Isabella. You could say that Louisa was the most outgoing one of us; she was the eldest too. At the age of twenty-four, Louisa was still to be married. She was a beautiful girl with long blond hair cascading down her back and bright grey eyes. The reason why she wasn't married? I don't really know, to be honest. She had been courting a duke for a while but it suddenly ended. After that, her perspective on men changed.

Isabella was a different kind of beauty. Her heart-shaped face was framed with long red hair. Her big green eyes showed as much innocence as the way she was. She would never hurt a fly. She rather read a book than anything else. The first time I met her I didn't expect her to be so shy. I thought she would be fierce. Her bright red hair didn't match with her personality at all. Well, most of the time then. She did have her moments, but that's mostly around us.

"What about you Adeline?" Louisa asked me. Interrupting me yet again from my thoughts.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked sheepishly.