Part One

PART ONE ~

Alissa threw herself behind the tree just as the orcs rounded the corner and came into sight. There was at least a dozen of them, all marching in unison along the dusty path. Their packs and weapons rattled noisily with each thumping step. A loud gurgling noise erupted from the throat of the leader, and the followers roared in agreement, stamping their feet and sending clouds of dust dancing along the road.

Alissa pressed herself as close to the tree as she could manage, hoping she wouldn't be seen. Her idea was to jump out at them and give her the upper hand in the attack she was planning.

As she carefully slid around the tree, a twig snapped under her foot, causing her heart to miss a beat. Luckily, the clatter of the orcs overpowered the mere snap of the twig and the orcs rambled on obliviously. She slowly drew her sword out of it's sheath, and set her body into a battle stance, ready to charge at them when the time was right.

Her heart was thumping against her chest like a caged crow, and adrenaline pumped through her body, getting her prepared for the upcoming battle. She planned her attack carefully, being fully aware that one false move or lack of awareness could get her killed.

After a few moments of holding her breath, she jumped from behind the tree and silently charged at the oblivious pack. In a swift movement, she drew her sword in front of her and slashed through the heavy armour of the first orc in her path, causing it to shriek out in pain. The beast spun round in bewilderment, drawing it's sword. It swung his weapon at Alissa's head, hoping to make the killing blow, but she was a trained warrior and she ducked just in time, plunging her sword deep into the orc's chest.

Two orcs suddenly came charging at her from her left, and so, uttering a fierce battle cry, she spun and slashed at the closest orc, cutting a deep gash into it's exposed, leathery skin. Alissa sidestepped a blow from the dead orc's companion and stabbed through a notch in the beast's armour. They fell to the ground with a thump, their swords clattering from their limp hands.

Three more orcs, who had finally recovered from the surprise of an attack, readied their weapons, and charged toward the human with a fierce growl. She let out another shriek and sprinted towards them, ducking and dodging to avoid the series of blows that were being sent her way.

She quickly disposed of one of the orcs and impaled another, but not before it landed a blow on her shoulder. The wound was not deep, but her strength was dwindling.

There was still six orcs left, including the leader, and her head was already spinning from the loss of blood. Still, she charged at the remaining creatures, driving her weapon deep into the tough armour. She sent two more to their deaths, leaving just four orcs remaining.

It was not long after she beheaded one of the remaining four that she felt pain ignite in her left shoulder. Lances of pain shot down her arm, causing her to scream in agony. It felt as though an icy hand had ripped through her skin, plunging deep into the bone. Alissa staggered back a few paces, reaching up to pull the rusty blade from her shoulder.

The world seemed to spin around her as blood oozed from the open wound. She uttered a small cry as she collapsed to the floor, on the verge of unconsciousness. The leader walked over, smirking. He drew his blade and positioned it just above Alissa's chest, lifting it up slowly as she started to sink into oblivion.

The last thing the young girl saw was the sword being knocked from the orc's hand as an unknown figure cut the beast's arm off in a single blow. Then she fell into the dark abyss of her unconscious mind.