Chapter 18: Cold Front

Start from the beginning

"Maybe, maybe no. I do not have to listen to enemy."

"That's fine you belligerent old fool. I just have to deliver the messages. The first you will speak to will be the martyr, Christian. You must tell him that the sins of this war will ravage the landscape." Ochenkov tried to struggle but he was powerless under the general. "Then you will speak to your Kaiser. You will tell him that the base is in position and fully operational. The Jahari are willing to speak to him only after he brings them the agreed sacrifice. Do you understand Ochenkov?" The Siberian Rhino struggled a bit before nodding its head. "Good. I am downloading some files to your Goliath for those people I mentioned. Before you get a chance to delete them though I'm going to have to completely disable your machine and rough you up quite a bit. It's part of the deal you see."

"Set-up?"

"It's not a set-up, just a communication network. You happen to be a part of it. You should be glad I was picked for the job. Other generals would try to paralyze you for life if they had this kind of opportunity. I have not forgotten what we did in combat though and I respect it, and so I am truly sorry for what I am about to do."

Ochenkov had closed his eyes after that and had listened to the sounds of his machine being beaten and torn apart, not making any noise himself, even when pain ravaged his body as the cockpit started to collapse.

The tribal man released the memories from his mind and replaced them with the walk at hand. He was indeed lucky to have come across Sigmeund, though unfortunate he had been picked to be used for the relaying of the information. He still didn't understand the message for Christian. Perhaps it was some sort of code, but he felt quite strongly about the one for the Kaiser. The Jahari were not something spoken of lightly. Stories of that ancient race had been passed down around the fires of his tribe for generations. For someone to actually believe them real and to be seeking them...Ochenkov could not go down that pathway of thought.

Instead, he speculated about Sigmeund. Was he a double agent for the Enian Federation? Or perhaps he was a double double agent? Ochenkov knew that Christian could not be trusted and the bizarre phrase stuck with Ochenkov's fears. Was Christian a double agent himself, thus making Sigmeund a triple agent? All the burly man knew was that his head hurt and that he could not deal with it himself. He would need to find help in new allies.

The sins of this war will ravage the landscape. The sins of this war. Maybe a warning against some sort of actions that the Martyr General had committed? Unknown for now.

Ochenkov pressed up against the trunk of a tree and peered around its side. Up ahead were two figures clad in black, soldiers it looked like. Each was holding a high-powered rifle and had munitions clipped to their belts. Their faces were covered to protect them from the weather and they seemed to be sharing stories as they smoked cigarettes.

There was a strange air to the two men. They were not lost, nor were they on patrol or searching for Ochenkov. No, they seemed to be doing something different, as though they were guarding something. An entrance nearby to some base? They had no markings on them for Enia or Artisan or anything else, just the black clothes. And Ochenkov didn't like it.

The barbarian withdrew a needle in one hand and pulled out some medical tubes to make them more accessible if he needed them. Enian men or not, they served a threat if they discovered Ochenkov and could stop his quest cold.

Keeping his weight low to avoid detection, Ochenkov crept along the ground in his approach. The two men gave out hearty laughs and he froze in case one of them took a look over their shoulder. He felt an old boil rising in his blood, something that he had left behind with his indigenous heritage. That feral, barbaric capacity for violence that could take him over, the very same one that had once led to him tearing a man apart at the limbs.

Could he control it this time? He thought his experience would help but you could never tell until it actually happened. Right now he had a hold over it, just letting enough out into his muscles to win this battle, but not enough to give him away.

With a ferocious leap, the warrior jumped onto one of the soldier's backs, driving the needle into the neck deep. It struck a nerve in the spine as it collided with the bone and the man went down in an instant. The other guard twisted and threw a right hook that Ochenkov ducked and then he caught the follow up left jab.

Ochenkov flew up again, this time straight over the enemy, landing softly in the snow behind him. The other soldier was standing once more and withdrew the needle from his neck in surprise and disgust. There wasn't much bleeding from such a tiny hole but the man was clearly shaken.

Before either of them could level their weapons, Ochenkov had lashed out with his foot and caught one in the knee, knocking him onto one leg. The savage fighter brought an elbow down on the enemy's head, knocking his face into the snow, and withdrew the tubes from his side.

Ochenkov rolled past the second soldier and left the tubing flowing behind him. It caught the enemy's wrists and they in turned snapped back, trapping the arms against the chest. Ochenkov stood up once more and grabbed the guard's head, saying another prayer under his breath before twisting violently until the neck snapped.

The remaining man, severely dazed, groggily found a way back to a standing position once more. He violently threw the butt of his rifle around in a foolish effort to strike Ochenkov. Caught unawares, the weapon collided with Ochenkov's chest and caused him to stumble back in shock.

With renewed vigor, the soldier struck again, this time with his fists, driving heavy blows against Ochenkov's body. The tribesman reeled from the last blow and pulled out another needle, tucking it behind his back. Ochenkov took the next punch hard into his gut and stabbed down with his weapon into the back of his opponent's hand.

The soldier screamed with pain but was silenced by a hard head butt that knocked him out. Ochenkov withdrew the needle and drove it into the enemy's neck once more, using it to tear up deep scratches that oozed blood. Ochenkov watched in the cold as the soldier bled to death before dragging the two bodies away and burying them. He returned to the scene and cleaned up the mess. As he did he uncovered a small metal latch in the ground, large enough for a man to slip into when opened, but otherwise blending in with the flat of the landscape. Ochenkov had to dig up the bodies to find an access card but soon enough he was back over top the doorway looking down.

The tribal man took a deep breath and held onto it, feeling his boiling emotions begin to die down a little. This was not a planned stop on his journey. But it would be a stop he had to make...

A/N: Ochenkov finding strange places in the snowy north? What could be going on in the world surrounding? Find out in the next Sigma/Star!