Part 9

"Alright," you smile and brush off your hands. "It's ready."

"Wow, it looks..." Jinta trails off.

"Great, I know, that's where you're sleeping whether you like it or not." you point to the mat and throw down a pillow and blanket.

"I know. You don't need to tell me for the millionth time today." he laughs. "So... do you have any movies or games or something?"

"Uh, yea I guess, movies." you hand him the remote and he takes it, turning the large screen on.

"Lucky me, my bed's right in front of the tv!" he chuckles and starts looking through the channels before finding a program for movies. "Choose one." he hands you the slick black remote.

You choose your favourite movie and sit down on the couch. He sits beside you and you lean onto his shoulder, you bite your lip nervously and lean into him more so your whole weight is on him, he doesn't seem to care and puts his arm around you. He turns to you and nuzzles your head, covering you in little kisses. Butterflies erupt in your stomach and you feel nauseous for a moment before regaining control. You look down at your bandaged hand from the burn. That's gonna leave a scar. You think, I'll be forced to remember the time Jinta 'saved the day.'

The movie is around halfway finished before Jinta slips into his bed and sighs, tired.

"It's getting late, do you want to turn it off?" You suggest.

"No, let's finish it." He replies. You slowly slip off the couch and slide under the covers with him, he wraps his arms around you and holds you close. You feel sleep tugging at your eyes, begging them to close, but you don't give in, not while Jinta is so close. What if you talk or move around a lot in your sleep? Maybe he'll think you're weird. You pledge to stay awake and move back to your own bed once the movie ends.

And just that happens. The movie ends and you get up, he lets out a disappointed sigh but you know you have to go.

"It's raining." He states.

"Mhm," you don't think much of it and head upstairs, "there's a bathroom down the hall."

"Okay, thanks, [Y/N]."

Once you get to your room you rummage through your drawer for pyjamas. You pull out an old night gown that you've never worn, it's a soft purple colour with matching lace around the edges. You pull it on without thought. Why did I put this on? You think. It's not like I'm sleeping with him, he won't even see me in this. Ah whatever. You crawl into bed and pull the covers up around you and fall asleep thinking of Jinta.

You are suddenly jolted awake by a loud crack, followed by a bright flash, thunder and lightening. You look out the window and see rain pelting down hard, it almost looks as if it's about to break the window. Shit. You feel fear jump into your throat and your heart pounds faster and faster. I'll just... go... check... on Jinta... You walk towards the stairs and begin to go down them, once you reach the bottom of the steps the first thing you see is Jinta's futon, only it's empty. You look around and see him in front of the sliding glass door, staring outside.

"Jinta..." you say, "what are you doing?" He turns around and smiles, looking surprised.

"[Y/N]... you look very pretty in that dress."

"Shut up and answer my question. What are you doing?" What? Why am I so defensive? Why do I feel so flustered?!

"I was wondering if you were scared, but now I have my answer."

"That's stupid..." you mutter. "Of course I'm not scared."

"Then why did you come down here?" He asks, a mischievous gleam in his eye.

"T-to check on you." Your eyes dart around nervously, trying to hold down the fear in your expression.

"You know, [Y/N], you're a terrible liar." He starts to walk towards you.

"I'm not ly-" he cuts you off by pulling you into him, you rest your head on his chest and breathe in his almost-familiar scent. "I'm not lying..."

"Hmm, didn't know you were a tsundere." he laughs, you can feel his chest expand with each breath. Another round of thunder and lightening hits and you grip onto his shirt and squeeze your eyes shut, immediately regretting it as he gives a sigh of sympathy. "See? I was right."

"J-just go back to sleep and stop acting like a hero. Someday I'll knock you off your damn high horse." you ignore his statement about him being right.

"Someone's got a sharp tongue tonight." He sighs, "whatever, you're still cute. Especially when you're scared."

"Shut up..." you feel yourself blushing. "For the last time, I'm not scared."

As of on queue another round of thunder and lightening strikes and you grab tighter still.

"If you want you can stay with-"

"For the last time, no!"

"Fine, fine." The room goes silent except for occasional claps of thunder, you stay in Jinta's arms, standing in front of the staircase in the dark with off and on flashes of lightening.

"Just go back to sleep." you repeat.

"I can't if you're still holding on to me."

"I'm not scared..." your eyes feel heavy, crap, I need to get back upstairs before I fall asleep here.

"Mhm..." he hums.

"I-" your head bobs forward and thumps onto his chest, completely exhausted, you are awake but you can't seem to bring yourself to move, you start to slouch and feel Jinta's strong, sturdy hands hold you up and then feel your feet leave the ground as he picks you up. He gently places you on what you assume is the futon, too tired to resist you let him place you down and lay next to you.

"I love you, [Y/N], I really, really mean it this time." you feel the mat underneath you shift and he kisses you on the mouth, his lips are smooth and soft, not rough or dry at all. You smile, eyes still closed, and hum a soft agreement. "Oh, haha, I guess you were awake for that." you can hear embarrassment in his voice and he pats you on the head, ruffling your hair, you roll closer to him and lay your head on his chest, he puts his arms around you and holds you. You fall asleep to his heartbeat and steady breathing.