Ian Balboa, my friend, colleague, and male counterpart in our core group dropped the free hand he had raised when Pia had him at knifepoint. "Hey, you should learn not to point sharp objects at people," he said with a laugh. He laid the bag he was carrying on the table and then walked to us so he could hug Pia. Then he tossed me my house keys.

"Thanks, Ian."

"Why does he have your keys?" Pia grumbled, going back to chopping.

"He borrowed it. We left work at the same time and I asked him to get the drinks and gave him the keys so I won't have to open the door for him." I started to take the bottles out of the bag, but Ian stopped me and started doing it instead.

"So, what were you guys saying about breaking up?" Ian asked over the rustle of the canvas bags.

"Ruth is breaking up with someone."

"You?" he said with a gasp. "You have a boyfriend? Why didn't you tell me?!"

I scowled at Pia again, which was useless anyway because her back was to me, her shoulders shaking as she giggled. Ian joined in the laughter. "No seriously, Ruth. What's happening?"

The doorbell rang before anyone could answer, and Ian went to open it. On his way back, I heard him speaking, "I just heard that Ruth needs a fake boyfriend."

"She needs what?"

Pia's cousin Gabriel strode into the kitchen after Ian. Like his cousin, he owned a bar in the northern part of the city, and part of his "image" was to dress up more than usual - long-sleeved polo shirts, perfectly-ironed trousers, and leather shoes. And tonight, everyone else looked underdressed beside him. 

Gabriel went straight to my fridge to put the pink and blue box he carried inside – the cupcakes he promised to contribute tonight from his dessert bar – then turned to me. "So you need a fake boyfriend? Why not a real one?"

I groaned, but the truth was, I didn't really mind telling the story even if I had meant to tell it only to Pia at the start. I figured now that the two boys were in on it, I should just let the rest of the group know. It's how it has always been with us, anyway – these guys were like my second family, and we know almost everything about each other. So rather than telling them now and then repeating myself again when the others arrived, I told Ian and Gabriel to wait until all of us were there.

Soon, the others arrived, and we finished preparing the dinner. We gathered around the table as Ian led the prayer and short worship before we settled down. In these meetings, Ian and I would usually have a discussion topic based on the ministry's formation plan or the day's Gospel, or just a general question, and we'd spend a few hours answering some questions based on that. That was usually an hour or two of sharing, depending on how long the stories were. Once we were all done, Ian wraps up, and then we go for some functional things, like other community activities and announcements.

That night was a general question night, so we took turns talking about what was happening in our lives. I was the last one to share, and I had a strong suspicion that was done on purpose, especially since the moment it was my turn, Ian asked, "So what were we talking about earlier, Ruth?"

All eyes swung to me, and I laughed. "Fine. You guys ready?" I said, then launched on a recollection of what I told Pia earlier. This wasn't a new story to them, since they have heard of my family thing and my seeming state of perpetual singlehood, but when I told them about Pia's suggestion, all their eyes sparkled.

"I love it," Mitchie declared, clapping her hands together loudly. "Genius idea, Pia."

She grinned, and then she looked at me. "But are you okay with this, Ruth? You don't have to do it if you don't want to."

If this had happened a couple of years ago, I knew that I would never agree to this idea. Because Gabriel was right – why should I settle for a fake boyfriend when I want a real one, right? But circumstances have changed now, of course, and like what Tita Ellen said, I wasn't getting any younger. Not that I've given up on ever finding true love, but my best friend was right: I just needed someone for that day. Just so the questions would stop, at least for once. It didn't mean I was giving up on love.

"Yeah, I'm okay with this. Should be interesting." My friends cheered.

"So the question now is who will be Ruth's fake boyfriend?" Mitchie asked. "Gabriel, do you know anyone? Any friend of yours?"

He pursed his lips, thinking, then shook his head. "Not the guys I know; no. I don't think Ruth will enjoy hanging out with them. Surfer dudes and party guys, no."

I leaned back on my chair and watched them mention names, some of them I knew from Holy Family Missions, some from work, some completely unknown. They'd look at me every now and then for confirmation."

"Wait, guys," Pia interrupted. "This is a contractual thing, so to speak. We need to find someone who's also okay with the arrangement. And someone who Ruth will be comfortable with because they need to make it look real."

"You're right," Mitchie said thoughtfully. "So, who will it be?"

"I'll do it."

Everyone stopped to look at Ian. I turned in my chair to face him, and he smiled when our eyes met. "I can do it," he repeated. "I'm fine with the arrangement, and Ruth and I have known each other for a long time."

"But my sister and dad know you," I said. "They'll never believe that we're together."

"Then we'll let them in on the secret," he said with a shrug. "I bet both of them will play along. We'd only need to convince your relatives. At least we won't have to start from nothing because we're friends already."

My friends exchanged looks, and I felt a rush of affection for them as Mitchie's furrowed brow relaxed, Gabriel's pensive look made way for a nod, and Pia's smile widened. I might not have been lucky with my love life, but I did score big time with my friends.

"As the one who suggested this, I think you two will work," Pia said with an excited clap. "Ruth?"

Ian's familiar grin sent a comforting kind of warmth that spread from my chest to the tips of my fingers.

I smiled. "Looks like I have a boyfriend now."