"I missed you," he continued chanting.

"Have you ever thought that maybe because you're like this that you were never able to land a date with Darcy?" I started saying to him after everyone already gave up on hugging me next, because Pete appeared like he wasn't near letting go.

"Ha!" He suddenly jolted, holding me on my shoulders again and moving me away from him, so that we were looking at each other this time. "Darcy and I have gone on a date, Georgey."

"What? No," I vehemently denied. "You little sneaky guy, why didn't you tell me?"

"I called you. You answered as if you were practicing your princess lines with me," he accused me, finally letting me go.

I tried moving my arms. They still seemed to be there, much to my relief. "Did I do that?"

"Yes! I called you right after she agreed to have coffee with me!" he said, a winning smile tracing his lips.

"Coffee?" I speculated. "Did she ask you to help her with something while having coffee?"

"No." Pete started to sound defensive.

"Yes," I concluded.

"No. It's just about a little summer class that she's taking and I already passed last semester," he told me.

"So yes."

"Coffee is good," he said, convinced.

"Maybe Darcy is just waiting for you to ask her out for a real date," I said to him. "I'm going to Dog. Talk to me again when you two are an item."

"Any news?" He caught up with me as I walked along.

"My dad's back." I gave him the look.

"What?"

"Yeah. Big news, right? I even have to sneak out my clothes and hide them in my bag when I leave. Good thing your mom knows what I'm up to, so she takes care of my other things. The princess-related stuff," I said.

"Must be hard. How long will he be staying?" he asked me, deeply concerned.

"Not sure. He seemed to be warming up in our house. Good thing he's always busy with his guitar, so he rarely watches the TV. You know, composing songs. Oh, wait, Mom already messed up with the plug, so it's not like Dad has money to buy a new TV. So for now, everything is well."

"Have you ever thought of what you will do if he finds out?"

"Not yet. But better if he's the one to know. You know my dad, he's not really much of a talker. I just can't imagine it if my real mom is the one who will hear the news. I'm still amazed how she haven't heard of it yet. It must be the twins," I said warily.

I had this crazy way of thinking when my parents came into mind, particularly Mom no. 1. I knew her, and I couldn't deny her tendency to use people to her benefit. She was an opportunist to simply put it.

'Forties is not a bad age to launch off a career,' I could almost hear her voice inside my head.

Then she would mess this only means of living that I had recently found. She'd likely do that. It was so natural for her to take on any kind of break crossing her way. Just imagine everyone finding out that she was my real mother. It was bad enough that she wasn't around. But if she did come around now, it could be even worse.

Some things were beyond my control. I couldn't choose who would be my parents. I only wanted a simple life. A simple family. I was wrong for lying during the interview. I could have been honest with everyone from the start, but my scars were far too ugly to show.