Darkness rolling in

PROLOGUE

My pawsteps echoed around the cave and I could hear many footsteps behind me as I walked into the biggest area of the cave, three cats in front of me. A golden tom, a black white she-cat and a thin, long legged leopard tom.

They greeted us with a smile and each stood on their own rock around the cave. There was a hole in ceiling, letting moonlight pour in so we could see. I recognized the three ancient Clan leaders easily; Goldenstar, Shadestar and Swiftstar.

"Greetings everyone," Swiftstar, the LeopardClan leader, mewed. "Thank you for coming so fast." Of course he would make a joke about being fast. His Clan was the fastest of all. "We hope we aren't bugging your slumber."

There were three others next to me; Brown tabby tom, a dark brown tabby tom and a grey she-cat. I spoke first, "Worry not, Swiftstar, we are always welcome to speaking with you." My eyes shone a deep green with pride, I'm the ShadowClan leader. I'm strong, fierce, smart and probably the best leader ShadowClan has ever had. Brokenstar, Tigerstar, Raggedstar and even Nightstar had given ShadowClan a poor reputation for many moons such as we were bloodthirsty, weak and foolish. I hoped, as leader of ShadowClan, to show the other Clans we were strong, brave yet kind.

The small grey she-cat stepped forward, meeting gazes with Swiftstar as she spoke in her soft, honey - like voice, "Why have you called us here?" The sleek, shiny RiverClan leader was strong, but something was bothering her.

Swiftstar smiley lightly at her. For some reason they disliked each other and they both held grudge. "We have a problem, within the Clans. Something is happening. Their loyalty is fading, their trust is falling. You must fix it, fast." He disappeared but the other two remained.

Goldenstar stepped off his rock, his golem pelt shimmering. "Storm clouds roll in, bee lark in the shadows, and the night takes over," he spoke in his gruff, angry-sounding voice but everyone could hear and see the sadness the he had. Then he disappeared.

Now it was Shadestar's turn to speak. "Bramblestar, Onestar, Mistystar and Rowanstar, do not take our warning lightly. Do not let the darkness cloud your reason. You're all we have left..." His pelt shimmered and turned into dust and then the three ancient cats were gone.

"We don't need any of the Clan's help," I mewed, raising my head high. I had to be proud, fierce and show my Clan was strong. "Whatever is to come I can handle it by myself." I felt a wave of disappointment come off the she-cat who was standing beside me.

The grey she-cat shook her head at me. "You don't have to pretend to be proud and prepared. With leafbare here, no one is prepared for what is to come, Rowanstar," she explained to him, her eyes showing kindness. She was always a good deputy and took charge whenever it was necessary. Now that she was a leader, she seemed to have more control and readiness, even more than Onestar, who had been leader longest out of all of us. After the Great Battle, Firestar and Blackstar had been killed by the Dark Forest warriors. I became a leader no more than a moon ago and same with Bramblestar. Mistystar, however, had been a leader for a few moons already.

The dark brown tabby spoke up, "We need to watch out for each other and be ready for something like the Dark Forest again," his voice rang out I could hear it echo. He turned to the WindClan leader. "You have said nothing, what do you think we should do, Onestar?"

Onestar met the large leader's gaze and smiled lightly. "You ask only because I am older than all of you. You ask because I have more experience. And I respond by ordering you to go back to you Clan and keep a watchful eye out. If we're careful, maybe the prophecy will be nothing." He turned away and walked through a dark tunnel, disappeared and Mistystar left after him.

Bramblestar nodded at me and slipped away, leading me alone in the large, grey cave and I slowly trudged after. A watchful eye, huh? Oh, you'll regret say that Onestar, you old bag!