Perks of Being a Miscreant

Sitting at my desk, waiting for the teacher to walk in, may just be the most boring thing I've ever done. It's 8:57; class started at 8:30, and most of us had gotten to school at 7 to practise for band or sports. This is even worse then learning about Japan 24/7. I mean, we live here, but why do we need to learn about it? Just then, a lady I've never seen before enters the room.

“My name is Misses Yoshida, I will be your substitute for today,” she says in a thick Japanese accent, so that many of my classmates are baffled by what she just said.

Ren, my best friend, leans in and whispers in my ear, “I know we're all Japanese here, but what on earth did she just say?”

“Her name is Misses Yoshida and she's our sub today,” I say, my voice just audible enough so that only Ren can hear me.

“I see,” she replies, and turns her focus back to Mrs Yoshida.

“Today, we will be learning about Tokugawa,” Mrs Yoshida begins in a flat, toneless voice. Again, many whispers arouse in the class – all of them wondering what the lady had just said.

“Quiet down please!” she shouts, and instantly all goes silent. She articulates each syllable carefully, so that it's easy to make out what she says.

“Sorry, Mrs Yoshida,” pipes up Aya from across the room. All I can think is, You kiss-up. Then I notice Aya getting up from her seat and walking over to me.

“It was really disrespectful of you to speak while Mrs Yoshida was,” she smirks at me and makes sure that she speaks loud enough for the teacher to hear. Mrs Yoshida turns to me.

“Detention. Lunch. This room,” she says pointedly, and then returns to lecture the class in her thick accent, “The Tokugawa Period...”

Finally, the bell rang and it was time for break. The whole class, I heard more of my classmates' muttering about me than I did about Tokugawa. A few girls pass me in the hallway, and one turns to look at me.

Detention with a substitute?” she says mockingly, “AHAHAHA!”

She runs off with her friends, all of them now laughing their heads off. This is all Aya's fault. She knew what was coming; she hates me. Once Ren and I reach our lockers, Ren turns to stare at me. It finally gets so galling, I'm forced to snap at her.

“What? Why are you staring?!” I bark at her, and immediately a grin replaces her determined look.

“You're so troublesome,” she says casually, putting away her textbooks and getting out her gym clothes. Today is basketball try-outs, and we're both trying out for the school team.

“And that meaning...?” my voice trails off, clearly demanding she expand on my being 'troublesome'.

“It's just that, you're known so well for getting in trouble,” she answers. “Why don't you just steer clear for once?”

“You know it's not that easy,” I accuse, “Aya loves making my life a snake pit. All the teachers favour her, and have admittedly said that they hate me. Who do you think they'll believe if I were to say Aya did it? Me or Aya?”

“Aya,” Ren sighs shamefully, “But, you can change that.”

“It's too late,” I reply, “I'll just have to wait for high school. We're only stuck here for a few more months.”

“True, but you don't want to go off to high school with a bad reputation, do you?” she retorts.

“Pfft, you think I plan on attending the same high schools these failures do?” I mock, and before I can say anything more, the bell rings, noting that the try-outs are about to begin. In a long line of girls, I see Aya in her gym clothes, talking with the coach. Ren also notices me, because she nudges me and points subtly to Aya. Her cronies are surrounding her, looking around dully.