Chapter 1

Mr. Nicholas above^^
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

        November winds blew threw the colored leaves knocking them from their trees. I tried to pull my maroon blazer around me tighter to block the cold. Oregon weather is always so unforgiving around this time.

I finally saw my car in the distance making a huge wave of relief flood over me. I had just gotten out of my longest and my final lecture of the day, and all I wanted to do was go home to curl up and die. Mr. Shultz sure had a way with putting students to sleep without any effort.

Shutting my car door behind me, I put my key in the ignition. I sat there for several minutes just staring into space. A loud tap on my window made me jump hitting the horn in the process. I heard a familiar laugh ring through the air, before the door opened. "You should have seen your face Adeline!" Joey chucked, face red as a tomato form laughing so hard. "Ha-ha you're so funny" I pouted hitting his arm. He flinched and rubbed his arm before shooting me a glare. He blew me a sarcastic kiss and turned the radio up annoyingly loud. I turned it down low enough for him to hear me before asking "shouldn't you be with Charity?" I asked him. Charity and him have been my best friends since primary school along with Sam who lived in Washington. They had asked me if I would play "house" with them because they needed a mom. Luckily for me they stayed with me all these years. But unfortunately for me Charity and Joey had started dating in high school leaving me to third wheel. "She has debate club today. Meaning you-" he wiggles his brows at me childishly "get to take me home!" I groaned "Why don't you guys drive separately to school?" He then brought me into this huge lecture about how "when two souls become one, they cannot go back"

Luckily I had pulled into their driveway so I didn't have to hear anymore. But I knew it wouldn't stop him from texting me the rest later. No matter how annoying the two were I couldn't help but feel blessed with the friends I had.

Heading to the post office I realized my rent was due soon. I really needed to get a job before it rent sucked me dry. I was currently in my last year of college trying to get a bachelors degree for English, and boy was it a long torturous journey. I had always had somewhat of a talent when it came to English and my parents didn't want their child to become a zookeeper. You may be thinking 'aren't you an adult?' And the answer is yes but when your parents are paying for your classes I don't think you have room to disappoint them.

Walking into the post office I noticed the old man at the front of the desk staring at me. This wasn't anything me but it was still creepy. I always felt like he was going to make a move but he never has... yet. I quickly grabbed my mail and left before he could say anything alarming. Skimming through the envelopes I noticed one in particular. It had cursive lettering on the front and the envelope was a pretty turquoise color addressed from Washington. I knew it was from Sam even though we talked everyday on the phone. She loved to send me her drawings of us in high school, and I loved receiving them. Sam and I were best friends back in high school. Sam and I were always getting into trouble but coming out with great stories. But those stories came to an end when they offered her a spot in an art museum there. She jumped for the opportunity and that brings us to today.

As I got in my car I ripped the envelope open expecting a drawing of something crazy we did in our past, but Instead I was greeted with a letter addressed to "Mr Nicholas" my eyes widened when I realized what I was holding. It was a recommendation letter to Nickolas Publishing. It wasn't for a job but for a paid internship. I stared in shock noticing she had attached a note saying her boss was good friends with Mr. Nickolas himself and was happy to help me accomplish my dream of being in the literature industry.

I swear I broke every traffic law on the way to the publishing house. But I couldn't help it I was so excited I practically screamed all the way there. I stood outside the doors adjusting myself thankful I was dressed professionally from class. As I stepped inside I was met by a minty smell and a friendly lady dressed in an slimming pink cocktail dress that could make anyone dizzy. "Hello is Mr. Nicholas here?" I asked as professionally as I could. She pointed to the elevator "8th floor go on ahead Mrs..." she paused "Paisley" I said "Mrs paisley" she repeated.

I stepped onto the elevator before realizing she didn't give me an office number or anything. Before I could even open my mouth the door closed. I let out a small giggle as the elevator shaked before rising. I had always loved elevators. The elevator dinged and I looked up the whole floor was  open. The walls opposite from me were all windows. The floors were a beautiful cherry stained wood topped with white fur carpets giving the room such a modern splash. The actual walls were filled with those weird paintings that "had meaning", but the only meaning I could find was it was their child's artwork therefore gave it a sentimental meaning. Sam's art had meaning, she didn't just spill a bowl of Spaghetti-o's on a canvas and call it art... but whatever I guess. The office was furnished with black leather couches that compliment that obviously hadn't been broken in yet. A throat cleared from the black desk interrupting me from drooling over his office any further. I opened my mouth to tell him why I was here but stopped as soon as my eyes met his.

Mr. Nickolas wasn't no seventy year old man.