Chapter 8

They both worked until about 2 o'clock in the morning, and eventually I was sitting up. Both Augustus and Eva looked as if they got hit by a truck, and Augustus was almost asleep on Eva's arm.

"Auggie," Eva said in a groggy voice as she pushed him off of her shoulder. "Do your parents even know where you are?"

"Shit," Augustus muttered as he stumbled up. "You have a tel somewhere in here, right?"

"In the back," Eva answered. Augustus tripped over to the back of the garage.

Eva and I were sitting there in awkward silence. I didn't know how I felt truthfully. Logically, because she just chose Augustus' life over mine, I didn't feel that safe. She was obviously more loyal to Augustus because they were best friends, and we were practically strangers. I just didn't feel safe, but it wasn't Eva's fault. Nothing about being in that city of steel made me feel safe.

"I'm happy your okay," Eva finally told me. "I was really worried."

"Thank you for helping me," I told her gruffly. "I'm sorry I almost killed Augustus..."

"Are you kidding me?" Eva asked. "That wasn't even your fault."

"It was my fault for putting the both of you in danger," I told her. "Do I have to remind you that your harboring an android fugitive whose running from both the law and two, super-powered serial killers? Either your truthfully crazy, or you care about me a lot more than I think you do...?"

"Is this about before?" Eva asked. "When I saved Auggie instead of you?"

"No," I told her, truthfully. "No, you and Augustus are friends. We're just allies. There's a difference. I expected you to save him, and I'm fine with it. I don't feel that much emotion towards you, and you don't feel that much emotion towards me. That's okay. We're both just trying to make it out of this alive."

"I feel horrible," Eva admitted. "You were paralyzed."

"Silas was going to kill the both of you and then reprogram me himself if you didn't do it for him," I told her.

"Why didn't he?" Eva wondered. "It seems less risky."

"Maybe he wanted me to be angry at you," I suggested. "Maybe I would be easier to control."

Eva nodded. "I'm glad your not hurt," she told me. "I promised you I wasn't going to hurt you."

"Thanks for helping me," I smiled.

Eva looked gladly surprised that I smiled.

"A smile looks good on you," she said. "I never knew you had it in you."

"Thanks," I said.

"No, Mum, I'm fine," Augustus said into the mouth piece he was holding with his right hand. He was holding a cone-like piece up to his ear with his left. "I promise. Eva and I were just working on something in the garage, and time got away from us." Augustus paused. "Yes, I'll tell her. I'll see you in a couple of minutes." Another pause. "I know, I'm sorry Mum. I'll see you." Pause. "Bye." Augustus hung up the ear piece against the stand.

"She's mad at you," Eva laughed.

"She heard about Oswald," Augustus said. "You know Nemo works with the paramedics. He was on duty when he found your brother's body. She was pretty insistent that you come home with me."