CHAPTER SEVENTY SIX

Start from the beginning

"How's that going, by the way-" Ashton started to ask, but our conversation was interrupted by Cooper walking up.

"Here let's switch," he said. "It's almost rush hour."

"I didn't know there were rush hours at record shops." I wondered outloud.

"It's fucking weird," Cooper laughed. "It's like everybody gets a sudden burst of interest in music around 12:30."

"What do you want me to do, boss?" Ashton asked, strolling to my side of the counter.

"Just uh, tidy up that box of new arrivals over there." Cooper instructed, pointing to a cardboard box at the back of the store. Ashton nodded, and started walking over to it. I thought about how its already 12:30pm, and I felt my stomach grumble with hunger.

"Do you want me to get you lunch, Ashton?" I said. Ashton whipped his head around, an adorable look of hope in his eyes.

"That would be lovely." He laughed. I looked over to Michael, and offered to buy them both food. "Wanna come?" I asked.

"Yeah sure." Michael replied sweetly. 

"Wow thanks for ditching me Michael," Ashton said sarcastically. "This makes me question our relationship."

...

Michael had come with me to get thai food over in the food court, and we decided on sitting outside and eating our food before bringing Ashton his share that sat in a to-go box next to us on the table. I'll be completely honest, I thought it would be kind of awkward being with Michael without anyone else, but it turns out I'm actually surprised at how nice Michael actually is. He's just like Ashton in a way: Intimidating looking, yet very sweet and funny. I could see why they've been best friends for 5 years.

"To finish Ashton's question," I said, jabbing my fork into my noodles. "How is it going?"

"What, with Sydney?" Michael replied. I nodded, and couldn't help but laugh as Michael's cheeks flushed bright pink.

"Aww, you're blushing!" I joked.

"Sorry!" Michael laughed. "But uh, yeah. It's going really good actually. I think she's the first girl I've liked this much in a while. Like, a long while."

"What do you mean?" I asked out of curiosity. I wondered what he meant by 'A long while'.

"Just...I don't know," He replied. "Last girlfriend I had was when I was like 15, and it was odd, considering I was still in 'that phase'."

"That phase?" I pressed another question.

"You know," Michael replied. "When all you do is hook up with people, not really in the mood for a committed relationship."

"You had that too?" I asked, remembering how Ashton has told me about this 'phase'.

"Yeah! Everyone has it..." Michael's voice trailed off and he looked at me. "...Right?"

"Well I didn't," I laughed. "Ashton's my first boyfriend."

"Seriously?" He asked. I nodded, and Michael laughed. "What?" I asked.

"This is cute," He replied. "Ya'll being each other's frist hardcore relationship."

I felt my own cheeks turn red, and I haven't thought about the fact that we actually were each other's frist relationship. I kept quiet, my mind still podering on about it. It was weird, the fact that we were both 17 years of age and this was both of our first relationships...although, I had my first kiss just a week prior to 'us', and Ashton isn't a virgin. I guess that's the difference. It didn't really bother me, though.