Chapter 3, Don't Stop Me

Tish had popped a piece of gum in her mouth the moment the frumpy secretary announced that she'd just won the lottery and would be granted access to the elusive Vic McCabe. She'd had to contain herself, fighting the urge to jump up and down in excitement, because her persistence had always won her the lead, the access, the scoop, the story. As her editor had told her, it was because she didn't give up. She was like a dog with a bone and always had been, her stubbornness a quality her parents had pointed out.

She was here on a lead. Vic McCabe had money and power, a businessman who'd swooped into Salem from California and was taking over. Her story had originally been about the attractive high-powered executives of Oregon, but something had her digging a little deeper, looking for something that would shatter their positive images and uncover dark truths. Every successful person had something to hide.

Tish waited as Vic, not moving from his chair, watched her in a way that reminded her so much of a cat stalking prey. She had to suppress a shudder, but she was afraid to look away and shut her eyes. She knew with this man, that would be a mistake. Her hands were sweating as she watched Vic, looking for any clue he was rattled, but the man was a rock, not giving anything away. Damn, this wasn't going to be easy.

"Who are you with?" he finally said, his voice deep, strong, and cutting.

She cleared her throat. Crap, how could she be the one on edge? "Oregon Press," she said proudly, for a moment wondering whether it sounded forced, as if it gave her some credentials.

"And you're, what?" He gestured as if starting the sentence for her. "You're here because..."

Okay, he was giving her nothing. This wasn't even going to be challenging. It was beyond pulling teeth. "I'm here because I had a tip about you, Mr. McCabe. It's not often a man like you sweeps into the state and establishes a business, outbidding other contractors in the area, not one as big as you in California and now moving into Washington and Arizona, with plans to set up shop in New Mexico, too. With the trouble you had...."

She was waiting for him to jump in and say something, clear his name and deny it. They always started to sweat and usually gave something away about now, sometimes something she hadn't even been looking at. That was what everyone did when she came knocking, but Vic seemed so calm. From those eyes, the way they watched her, she knew he didn't get rattled, and maybe he was someone who shouldn't be toyed with. She swallowed again.

"I'm just a businessman, Ms. Campbell. Not sure what you're after. Who's your source? A tip, you say?" He leaned forward and then stood. He was tall and ripped, wearing black jeans and a black T-shirt. He stepped around the desk, coming closer, and she just watched him, her breathing shallow, her heart pounding. He seemed so calm, so in control.

"I can't reveal my source." She'd found the story in the Phoenix Tribune, and after leaving a dozen messages with the Phoenix PD, she'd finally received a call from a burner cell phone with no name, just a tip that Vic had been responsible for a botched terrorist attempt and had somehow walked away.

Then he smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes, which had become cold, watching her, taking in every part of her. She realized her mistake as he reached for his phone and pressed a button. "She's a reporter" was all he said before hanging up. What an odd thing to say.

"I would be very careful if I were you," he said just as the door opened. "False rumors have a way of becoming fact very quickly, and I'm not a man to be messed with."

She stepped to the side, taking in two men in blue jeans, both tall and built. She noted the company insignia, McCabe Contracting. One of them placed himself between her and Vic, who hadn't moved other than to cross his arms as he continued to stare at her. She had to fight the urge to pull at her jacket, as the man made her feel he could see through everything she had on, as if she were standing naked in front of him.

"Please escort this reporter off the property," he said. "Let everyone know that if she's seen here again, they're to call the police and have her arrested for trespassing."

"Look, I'm not going away," Tish said. "I'll do this story with or without your comment, and I guarantee you it would be better if you shared your side."

A hand touched her arm. "Let's go," one of the men said.

She pulled away. "Don't touch me," she snapped, but there was no hesitation as she was ushered out of the office. In the moment before the door closed, she took in Vic, who watched her like a caged animal who had been set free, and he was now coming for her, the one who had captured him.

She shivered, for the first time realizing that with Vic McCabe, she was swimming with a hungry shark.