"What about you?"

"Are you really that embarrassed to be seen with me? I though we were trying to work things out." I stared at him.

"What do you mean? I'm not embarrassed to be around you." Jack lowered his voice and took a step towards me.

"Then why did you just disappear? I even asked Ethan if he knew where you were but he didn't know!"

Jack furrowed his brows, "I think Ethan knew where I was because he was there with me, before going downstairs. If Ava throws a party we're always in the same room as tonight, because that's where we gather up to smoke. Ethan should know that."

"He told me he didn't know where you were!" Why would he lie to me?

"Well that's not my problem if he lied." 

Suddenly we heard someone shout "Weston, man! You need to see this, come here!"

Our heads turned at Weston, who had awkwardly stood there.

"Um, I'll be right back, okay?"

"Yeah." I smiled, "I'm going to take fresh air." I said and walked away.

I sat on the patio, looking at a couple who was making out. I heard how drunk girls screamed when the captain of our school's football team jumped in to the pool. Everyone seemed to be happy and not worrying about anything.

"Em." A voice startled me.

I saw from the corner of my eye how Jack sat down next to me.

"I'm a jerk." He sighed. "I'm sorry for the-"

"I don't want to hear your shitty excuses." I said quietly staring into the darkness. 

"What?" 

"You heard me. You always act so sweet after you have messed up something. I know you Jack. If I forgive you, you just hurt me again. It's not fair you know?" I felt lump growing in my throat. "And I know I can't really be mad at you for kissing another girl because we aren't.. a thing or anything." I said quietly. 

"But I don't understand why you are so obsessed with me? Or with hurting me? Does it give you satisfaction when you see me upset? Because I really care for you Jack." I felt how a tear dropped from my eye. "I know I probably shouldn't but I do."

"Em I care-"

"You care about me huh?" I smiled sadly, "You have a weird way to show it." 

"Listen to me Em." Jack tried but I really wasn't feeling like listening to him. I just wanted to be alone for a moment.

"Jack I think you should go." 

"No Em. I get to be as stubborn as you are." He was serious, "I'm not embarrassed to be around you. I don't get why you would say so. You are gorgeous, and believe me when I say that, because I don't usually compliment girls." He said looking straight into my eyes, "I know there probably hasn't been a time when I haven't been a jerk to you, but that's just because I don't know how to handle these types of feelings."