Chapter 4: Graphite

The cool summer breeze ruffled the two boys' hair in the silence and tension that hung in the air. The sketchbook sat menacingly on Phoenix's lap, its metaphorical weight pulling the boy to the ground .

Phoenix gripped the hard, burgundy red cover and lightly flipped it over to reveal the thin pages scrawled with graphite.

"Is that..."

"You? yeah" Phoenix began with a sigh, his anxiety bubbled in the pit of his stomach as he continued, "I swear I'm not a creep, it's just...I see you a lot and... to be honest, I really like drawing you..."

"Pardon my ignorance but I find no connection between this and my earlier question..."

Phoenix ran his hand through his hair and felt the butterflies in his stomach begin to flutter, "l-look, I...I um.."

His nerves got the better of him as his body shut down against his will. He twiddled the thumbs of his shuddering hands while he searched for the courage to confess.

Click click

"Earth to Phoenix? Are you okay, you seem like you're in a faraway place" Edgeworth clicked his fingers in front of Phoenix's dilated blue eyes causing him to snap out of his daydream once again.

The latter turned to face the expensively clothed boy beside him and took a deep breath, his gaze fell upon curious, glittering silver grey eyes.

He wondered what it would be like to see the stars reflecting in those many shades of grey, the small pinpricks of sparkling white shining on the boy's soft gaze.

Phoenix's confidence faltered and his gaze fell back to the sketchbook on his lap, all he could manage was a quiet mumble,

"Would you ever consider a relationship with another boy?"

Edgeworth leaned closer, placing a hand on the grass beside Phoenix to steady himself,

"What was that, I couldn't hear you..."

"W-would you e-ever consider dating a boy"

Silver hair was flipped out of his face as he leant against the tree and looked up towards the branches above him,

"Hmm, I'm not sure. Perhaps...if they made me happy then I don't see why not."

Phoenix let out the breath he didn't realise he was holding while Edgeworth continued,

"You've been acting odd all day, is there something wrong?"

"Nah, what makes you think that?"

Edgeworth sighed, "Phoenix, you've been spacing out, you've done practically no work and now you're acting very strange...I'm genuinely quite worried"

"Promise me something Miles..." Phoenix tried to make his voice audible, "That what I'm gonna say won't affect our friendship"

"I promise, Wright. Now tell me what's wrong,"

"Miles I..." Phoenix mentally prayed while balling the ends of his hoodie sleeves up in his hands that he could manage to not mess things up for once,

"I really like you, like, the sorta 'admire from afar' thing," the spiky haired boy began with a shaky tone which threatened to snap at any moment, "I know it sounds weird, and I know I'm definitely not explaining it well but I'm, um... is 'infatuated' the right word? I think it is... Yeah, I'm infatuated by you."

Edgeworth let out a soft chuckle and put a hand on Phoenix's forehead,

"W-what're you..."

"Are you feeling alright Phoenix? You're using proper vocabulary for once"

The soft chuckle turned to a hearty laugh when Phoenix playfully punched his friends arm, all sense of bashfulness had faded and the tension in the air had disappated. The two boys were having the time of their life, jokily shoving each other until the scream of the school bell interrupted their fun. The sketchbook had laid abandoned on the floor until it was scooped up into the red clad arms of the prosecutor to be, who discreetly slipped it into his satchel to return to his friend later, not before taking some pictures of the sharp lines which littered the pages of the pristinely kept hardcover book...