Candy Killers: Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Two weeks later, we pulled up in front of the court house with a van loaded with desserts.

"Oh my gosh," I murmured. We lived in a small town, so I figured there would be a good showing, but I never imagined the whole town would show up.

"Did we bring enough desserts?" asked Bryce.

Mrs. Knickerbocker grinned. "Definitely."

We got out of the van and grabbed the first round of trays.

The Mayor's assistant smiled as we filled table after table with cookies, fudge, candy, and other delicious desserts.

People began to fill up the large room and admired Mrs. Knickerbocker's work.

A tall woman with blonde hair rushed over. "Did you bring it?" asked Mrs. Knickerbocker.

The old woman smiled. "I'll fetch it right now."

I frowned. I recognized almost everyone in the crowd, except the tall blonde.

"Jace, can you help me with the final piece?" asked Mrs. Knickerbocker.

"Sure thing."

"Who was that lady?" I asked as we made our final trip to the van.

Mrs. Knickerbocker laughed. "Oh, just an old friend."

A knot formed in my stomach.

"Help me with the gingerbread house," instructed Mrs. Knickerbocker.

I reached in and pulled out a gingerbread version of the court house. My boss was like a candy architect.

She grabbed a large bag of small red candies that looked like gum drops before shutting the doors to the van.

"What are those?" I asked as I carefully balanced the gingerbread house in my hands.

"A special surprise," she said with a wink.

*******

Cliffhangers,

Thanks for reading chapter five! I know it was short, I have two more that I'll be putting up over the next few days. 

Hearts and Daggers,

Kelly Anne Blount xoxo