elena imagine!!

Hey guys!! I spent all of yesterday FREAKING OUT because Elena is coming back to the show and I figured I owed you guys some writing so here is a short and sweet Elena imagine for you!!
-
You honestly didn't know how long it had been since Elena had left. If you wanted to figure it out, you could have,  but looking at a calendar made it seem more real. You made a huge effort not to just shut down and cry in the days after saying goodbye to her, but whenever you saw something that reminded you of her a lump the size of Mystic Falls grew in your throat. You knew you weren't alone in your suffering; Stefan, Damon, Bonnie, and Caroline definitely missed their friend. But you had it so much worse; you were in love with her. You two had been together about a year, after she realized neither Salvatore boy was for her, and it had honestly been the happiest year of your life, when the sun shone brighter and birds sang louder and every day you got to wake up next to someone you really loved. It had been about six months since Elena had left and you had mostly removed yourself from the issues of Mystic Falls. You didn't want to know who Sybil was or what she could do for Stefan or whatever that mess was. You guessed that made you selfish. You could be helping bring Elena back but instead you were wallowing in self pity.

It was fairly early on a Friday morning-you'd not really slept long since she left-when you decided to change your routine and walk to the Mystic Grill for breakfast. To your surprise, Caroline was also there, and smiled at you genuinely and asked you to eat with her, seemingly not bothered by the fact you had barely spoken to her lately. You had some pleasant conversation and laughed more than you had in a long time, but for whatever reason you could feel something drawing you back to your house. You tried to ignore it, fearing that you were becoming some kind of a recluse who had an allergic reaction to leaving the safety of her own home, but after about two hours with Caroline the urge to go investigate whatever was drawing you back home was too much. You said goodbye to your friend-and promised to call her-and drove back to your house in silence; for whatever reason, you didn't feel like you needed the radio right now.

It was about nine in the morning when you parked in your driveway, and your door was unlocked. You narrowed your eyes at that; you knew you always locked it before you left the house. Nevertheless, the urge to go inside was still there, and so you did. The kitchen and the dining room seemed perfectly fine, but when you walked into your living room you fell to your knees at the sight of someone you never thought you'd see again.

Elena Gilbert gave you the biggest smile you'd ever seen and you began to sob into your hands, convinced you had gone crazy.
"I'm hallucinating, oh god, oh god no, please don't do this to me, I'm trying so hard to move on-" you found yourself unable to speak as sobs of disbelief, sadness and rage wracked you. You couldn't believe you'd become so weak that you'd let yourself hallucinate the love of your life just so you could see her face.
Your face was buried in your hands when you felt a pair of warm, slim arms wind around your back and pull you to a warm body, shushing you and kissing the top of your head.
"It's really me, baby, I swear you're not seeing things."
You looked up again, half in disbelief and half in shock.
"But-but how?"
"It doesn't matter, Y/N. It was terrible, yeah, but I'm here with you now and I want you to be happy."
You sat back on your heels, regarding the girl in front of you with hope you never thought you'd feel again.
"It really is you, isn't it?"
"It's me, baby girl. I'm home now."
At this, you launched yourself forward, flinging your arms around her and holding her as tightly as you could.
"I missed you so much-I was such a wreck-I love you- I'm sorry"
"Shh, baby, it's okay," the love of your life smiled at you and brushed some hair out of your face.
"I know you did the best you could and I love you so much"-at this she got a little choked up-"for it, okay? I really love you. You don't know how good it is to see your face right now."
At this you held her a little tighter, burying your face into her neck and calming down as she whispered sweet things about how much she loved you and how beautiful you were into your ear. You couldn't remember a time when you felt so relieved and at the same time as you felt yourself getting out of the slump you were in, you knew that you were going to be okay. You would have to bring Elena to see the rest of your friends, of course, but then you could go get a job again. Maybe you and Elena could move to a city-you were so tired of small town life.
But before you let yourself think too fast, you pulled back, looked into her eyes, and kissed the woman you never thought you'd see again.
You pulled back and began to tell her that she should really go and see her friends because they were worried sick when she shushed you.
"I know, I know. And I love them and I will go see them but I love you and I think I just really need to be with you right now."
You smiled huge at that and pulled her up with you, walking over to the couch and laying down with her, holding the love of your life tightly, like you thought she would up and disappear again.
You never in your life had been so happy.