Chapter Seven: Just Stronger

Start from the beginning

"I told you I wasn't a threat and I meant it. what you did to the king saved me... I am forever in your debt. I didn't come here to kill any of you. I simply came to thank you... in my own time" Ayla's voice was more honest. Polly knew there was more to the story. She didn't call the king her father which must have meant something happened between them

"Give us a moment chaps" Polly said to the boys. Arthur and John left moments after but Tommy didn't seem to get the message.

"That applies to you as well Tommy" Polly says

"He can stay" Ayla finally says. She felt a warmth towards tommy. Like she could trust him. He was happy and surprised when she asked for him to stay, glad that she was beginning to trust him. He poured them all a drink before sitting down. For the first time in ages Ayla finally broke her silence the words that were about to come out of her mouth had never been heard by anyone, and she doubted herself.

"What did you mean when you said the peaky blinders helped you escape?" Polly looked at the scorned child sitting before her. Scanning every inch of her face noticing the scar below her lip

"I've seen things, felt things that should never be witnessed by another human being" Ayla stared into space. Polly and tommy listened without saying a word.

"King Sekin isn't my biological father, I was abandoned in the woods. Thats where he found me. When a gypsy told him I was cursed he lost the plot. she said that the curse will only be lifted when I find my weakness and embrace it" Ayla's eyes met Tommy. He finally started to understand her wisdom.

"what happened to you're real parents" Polly asks. She scanned her eyes for tears but Ayla had cried all of them years ago

"I don't know, I never asked" Ayla admitted

"What happened after?" Tommy asked wanting to know more and more about the beauty he had fallen deeply in love with.

"The first time he raped me I was 11" She remembered the memory vividly. She could still feel him close to her when she closed her eyes his breath on her neck. Tommy clenched his jaw watching her eyes flinch every now and then remembering the painful memories.

"What about your mother?" Tommy asked hoping for a better answer.

"He blamed the deaths of his wife and children on me although they were all tragic accidents he would beat me black and blue, I was cursed.no one dared to help me, he was too powerful. Anyone that would stand up to him would be killed.He would lock me in tiny cages for hours while he would eat forcing me to watch as I starved" She said. silence fell in the room once again. Tommy's fists clenched so hard his knuckles started to turn white. 

"After my 16 birthday I gave birth to my child, she was so beautiful. Her eyes as green as mine, hair dark brown and straight like mine she was the only good thing to come of my miserable existance." Ayla smiled at the little baby face she remembered.Polly's eyes started to well as Ayla spoke

"What happened to her?"Tommy could see the pain building in her face once again as she spoke. He couldn't even begin to imagine the things she had been through neither could Polly.

"He murdered her in cold blood in front of all his followers. he even made a speech like it was something to be celebrated.'This child had carried down the curse from its mother. The people of my kingdom do not deserve to face this curse as I have' he said I would never see my daughters beautiful green eyes again" Tommy watched as her lips moved slowly. 

"And you know what the most painful part is? I couldn't even stop him because I was locked in a fucking cage watching him stab my little girl, powerless to do anything!" Polly wiped her eyes.Tommy stunned by what he was hearing

"Seen as I was the only child left I was going to become queen if the king was to pass When you robbed the palace he knew there was no better time than now to marry me off to a rich king. The king of Israel" She admitted

"Isn't he old?" Tommy finally asked

"90" Ayla said simply. "I didn't want to live my life like that, I wanted to fall in love. I wanted to be happy. If you hadn't of robbed the palace I would never have been pushed over the edge when he tried to force me to marry the king" Her eyes brightened up again. Polly looked at Tommy with a little sympathy. For the first time The peaky blinders did something good for someone and she was proud of him. 

"I Don't think you're cursed. I think you're and angel. A strong angel and I think fate brought us all together" Polly smiled at her but Ayla couldn't return

"I'm no angel Polly, obviously not. I'm everyone's worst nightmare even my own" she looked up at Tommy

"so now you know the truth can you look at me the same?" Ayla asked knowing the answer.

"You are the same girl, just stronger" Polly held her hand in hers.

"You will stay with us till-" Tommy spoke but they were cut off from they're conversation

"Ayla you're coming with us" a bulky bunch of men stood in the doorway of the garrison. Ayla's eyes widened. Tommy stood up protectively pushing his chair back in the processed. A gallon of fear running through Polly's body.

"Over my dead body" Tommy's voice now deep and filled with darkness...