She didn't even look up from where she was at her computer, probably taking attendance. She usually spent a solid half of the period taking attendance, so I figured I might not even be counted as tardy if I hurried to my seat. So I did.

I was starting to get used to the feeling of being around Mason. I still didn't like it, but I might as well learn to tolerate it.

"Oh great," Mason said dryly as I sat down. "You're here."

I flashed him a sugary sweet smile. "Oh, but of course! I hope you didn't miss me too much."

Mason scoffed. "Oh, you don't have to worry about that."

The tension in the air could be cut with a knife. Everybody was thinking about the same thing, I could tell. Well, except for the one other guy who sat here but never really talked. He just looked down at his art and pretended he wasn't eavesdropping. Yeah, right.

"So," I said, keeping the false niceness in my voice, "how was your date?"

In honesty, I was hoping that Marcella and Mason would share an awkward glance, say it was fine, and then later today Marcella would tell me it was horrible and she couldn't believe she ever liked him.

Instead, the two smiled each other, and Marcella's signature pink blush spread across her cheeks.

"It was great," Mason said. "Awesome movie, awesome food," he looked at Marcella fondly, "Awesome girl."

"I'm so glad to hear that," my voice was dripping with sarcasm. "Does that mean there's going to be more?"

Please say no. Please say no. Please say—

"Oh, you bet," Mason looked from Marcella to me, his smile instantly becoming a smirk. "Marcella and I are dating."

I blinked once. Twice. Then, slowly, I turned to Marcella with wide eyes. "You're..." my voice was a whisper "you're what?" I hissed.

Marcella smiled tentatively and shrugged. "I was going to tell you. Last night, Mason...well, he asked me to be his girlfriend."

"You've known each other for less than an week!" I protested. "You've been on one date!"

"One awesome date," Mason said, still smirking. "You jealous?"

I snorted. "Yeah, no. Cella's not my type."

"I wasn't talking about Cella."

I decided to play along. "Oh, you bet," I winked flirtatiously, hoping to get a rise out of him. "Sometimes I imagine that I was there with you instead of her..." I sighed dreamily.

I expected some kind of verbal reaction from Mason. However, he just sat there, wide eyed and obviously flustered, if the redness of his cheeks was anything to go by. "W-what?" He stuttered. "Really?"

Okay, I knew he was dumb, but...

"No," I deadpanned. "It was a joke."

"Oh," Mason said, turning even redder and looking down. Cella and I exchanged a glance, and I could tell we were both wondering the same thing. Hell, even the other kid at our table was thinking it.