Lost

"You have no idea where we're going, do you?" I ask, drawing circles in the fog on the window. It is past midnight now, and even though I know we are lost and out of the reach of cell service and were supposed to be going somewhere for something important, I can't help but smirk as Scott scoffs.

"What? No. We're just taking the long way."

"Scott." I avert my attention to him, reaching over to tap my fingers against his thigh.

"What?"

"We're lost."

"We're not lost. We're just taking the long way."

"The long way? We've been driving for close to four hours. The party ended an hour ago. We're lost, and you don't know where we're going or how to get anywhere from here." He lets out a groan and brakes slowly, trying to see where we are. "Just stop the truck. We can figure out a game plan if you stop."

"If we stop, we can't find our way back."

"Stop the damn truck or I'm jumping out right now."

"Fine, fine." he says, chuckling. "You're so feisty. What's gotten into you?" He glances over toward me with a devious glint in his eyes, to which I roll my own. The truck comes to a slow halt and I unbuckle my seatbelt to turn toward Scott properly.

"Kirstie's gonna kill us for missing this."

"We can deal with that later. Come on." He undoes his seatbelt, too, and pushes the car door open before stepping out into the warm air.

"Where are you going?" I ask, following suit.

"Good thing we came in the pickup, yeah?" I hear his voice near the back of the truck and follow it, blinded by darkness.

"Why?"

"So we could at least enjoy the stars." His voice is right in front of me now, and I reach out to find his hands. He finds mine first and helps me up into the bed of the truck, where I lay on my back, using my arms as a pillow. I feel the bed dip a little when he joins me and then even back out as he lays down, too.

"We're not even gonna try to figure out where we are?"

"I told you, we're not lost." I laugh, listening to the sound echo off of the nothingness around us.

"Where are we, then?"

"I don't know, exactly, but we're where I want us to be. This was intentional."

"How do you get lost on purpose?" I move closer to lay my head on his chest, smiling as his arms wrap around my waist immediately.

"Just look up. Enjoy nature. We don't get to very often."

"What's going on? Why are we here?"

"I'm getting to that. Just wait." A serene silence falls over us for a few long minutes. "Okay, fine, we are lost. Completely, hopelessly lost." I laugh again, smacking his chest and sitting up.

"I knew it. You didn't mean to be here." He sits up, too, pressing his lips against my cheek.

"That is...accurate." He tries to kiss my cheek again, but I turn so he catches my lips squarely.

"It's been too long since we've had time alone." I murmur against his lips, my voice muffled. He hums in agreement, pulling me carefully into his lap so that I am straddling his waist. "Between the two of us, I don't think we've been able to spend more than an hour awake together in a few months."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"I said 'between the two of us'. It wasn't just you. You've had school and I've had work, and then you got your job, too, so we're home together even less. And then we're both exhausted so we fall asleep even if we are together. It's been a lot." He lays back, bringing me with him so I am laying on his chest.

"I wish we could stay like this forever. Alone, without anything to worry about."

"Except for Kirstie killing us, you mean."

"Well, yeah, except for that." He shakes his head, letting out a hearty laugh for the first time in a while. "I have a confession." The solemn tone of his voice wipes the smile from my face and I lean back to look him in the eyes.

"Yes?"

"Yes. I've been lying to you. I mean, it's only been a few days, but still..."

"What are you talking about?"

"Kirstie wasn't really having a party. I mean, she was, but only because I asked her to. It was for you. For us, actually. But I set it up, she was just involved."

"Don't scare me like that."

"Like what?" he asks with mock innocence.

"You know what, you asshole." I stand up and hop out of the truck. "What was the party supposed to be for?"

"I mean, I was gonna ask you to do something, but I can't now."

"Sure you can." I say, fighting the excitement in my stomach.

"Are you sure?" he teases. "Now that we don't have the whole big party, I mean..."

"Scott. Stop. You're killing me." He gets up on his knees and crawls over to where I am leaning.

"I was gonna ask if you want to marry me." His voice is so quiet I almost think I heard him wrong. "Should I take your silence as a 'no'?" he asks. I hear the grin in his voice before I see it and lean forward to kiss him. He does the same thing and we end up crashing against each other in a burst of giddy laughter. I wrap my arms around him and press my hands against his back, never wanting to let go.

"I've never wanted anything more than to be your husband."

"Good." I feel him shift and then a cold band of metal is being slipped onto my left hand.

"Maybe Kirstie won't kill us after all."

"No, maybe not." He pulls his lips away from mine to lean our heads together. "Good thing we got lost, huh?"

****

I think it's kinda cute