Chapter Two: Family

Start from the beginning

"Um, I'll be right back." I said lowly to my parents and kept my eyes trained on my brother while I quickly walked over to him. He was still clutching his water bottle in his tiny fingers when I crouched down next to him.

"What's wrong, Matt?" I asked him. He looked at me with his equally sky blue eyes and sighed dramatically.
"What if I get hurt again?" He asked. His childish voice made me want to just hug him tight but I resisted the urge to do so. Instead, I pried his sweating water bottle out of his hands and sat it under his chair and made him look at me.
"You won't. You're all better now, remember?" I patted his leg and pursed my lips. He smiled shyly and looked down, "OK." He replied. I grinned and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. He didn't hesitate to do the same to me before I pulled away. I gave him a kiss on the cheek and watched him wipe it off in embarrassment while he blushed. I stood up and ruffled his hair before walking back to my spot between my parents.

I didn't expect to see him here. He was standing in the very back beside an older woman. His dark brown eyes locked onto mine for a moment, his face emotionless. I almost wanted to go back there and see why he was here, he never came to any the other year, so why now? Maybe his sibling is playing as well. I thought he was an only child. I tore my gaze from those memorable Brown eyes that belonged to Cameron Bridges.

Why are you wondering about him so much?

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and hesitantly sat down in my seat. My dad roughly patted my back and left his arm to rest on the back of my chair. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat for the next two periods of the game. Matt was put in and was doing great; he made two baskets already. My parents clapped for him right along with me and he jumped around for a second with excitement.

When they took Matt out, I got bored with the game all of a sudden. Curiosity got the best of me and I lied so I could go see if Cameron was still back there. Even if he was kind of a jerk earlier, he struck me as interesting.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I told my mom. She nodded her head and I stood up with my back crouched down slightly. I was attempting to keep my head out of other people's views but that didn't work to well since all the chairs were on one level. I reached the middle aisle and walked through it, my eyes searching through the crowd.

I caught a glimpse of Cameron's head across the room and casually made my over as I tried not ot look to much like a stalker. I was simply trying to make friends with the boy, that's all. I shimmied through the crowd and found myself even closer to Cameron when one of the tiny cheerleaders crashed into me. I tripped over my own two feet and my shoulder hit with Cameron's torso.

He stumbled back, his hands still stuck in the pockets of his jeans. I felt a blush creep up my neck and tried to look away to hide it, but my manners got the best of em first. I looked up at him, just realizing I was so short and he was so...tall. Clearing my throat, I said, "Sorry." He looked down at me for the first time and still had no emotion on his face. Was he always this grumpy?

"It's fine." He said finally. I mentally shook my head and wondered what my facial expression was like at the moment. He must've noticed that he made me just the slightest bit unhappy and shifted his body weight to his other leg, "Uh, why are you here?" He asked me. I knew he was trying to make up from earlier for being so grumpy, but he isn't sliding by that easily.

"Are you to manly to say I'm sorry?" I challenged while trying to suppress a smirk. He gave me a small smile that didn't reach his eyes and shook his head, "Of course," He looked down at his feet. I crossed my arms over my torso and turned myself so I could see the game. As I watched Matt run across the court, I remembered what Cameron asked me. It wouldn't be polite of me to ignore the question, wouldn't it?

"Oh, and I'm here watching my brother. Number two." I told him without looking up at him. I trained my eyes on Matt as I watched him move graciously across the court. All the things I taught him outside of our garage door with our basketball hoop hanging above the door, he was using them.
"He's pretty good." Cameron piped up. I glanced at him and saw he was already looking at me. I nodded my head, "I know." With a cocky attitude that I never ever get, I started to walk away. My face contorted into a scowl meant for myself. Where did the cockiness come from? I shook my head, confused at myself.

I turned back to Cameron to catch him quickly looking away from me. I was going to ask him about it until I saw a short little blonde girl come running towards him. Her light blonde hair was tied back into two ponytails that cascaded down off her shoulders. Her little cheerleaders uniform was a bit baggy on her and as she jumped up into Cameron's arms. He swung her around in a circle and watched her giggle, dropping her fluffy pom-poms to the floor. Her uniform was the same color as my brothers uniform and had the same sponsor name written across it.

I walked up to them just as Cameron was propping the little girl on his hip, like I did with Matt often.
"Who's this?" I asked as I picked up her pom-poms and held them in my hands. The little girl shyed away and hid her pale adorable face in the crook of Cameron's neck.

"This is my niece, Ella." Cameron seemed to have a glow on his face when she giggled. A real smile -one that I hadn't seen before now- was on his lips as he craned his neck to see her face, "This my friend, Sophia." He finished. I was take aback at how he called me his friend and knew my name. I smiled brightly at Ella as she rose her head up, that smile of hers not faltering even a little bit.

"Well, hello there, Ella." I playfully stuck my hand up for her to high-five. To my surprise she smacked it. It seemed to surprise Cameron as well. A tall, blonde woman came up behind Cameron and played peek-a-boo with Ella until Cameron turned around to see who it was.

"Hey, Callie." He greeted her. She gave him a side hug and took Ella out of his hands while she was saying "Mommy!" over and over again. I handed the pom-poms to Cameron and watched as he handed them to Ella's mom. Her and Ella looked an awfully lot alike with their Blonde hair and brown eyes. Beside hair color, Cameron and his sister looked alike as well.

"Hi!" Callie stuck her free hand out to greet me. I shook it, noticing how she seemed kind of out of breath. Cameron introduced us and we stood there while watching the game a little. I couldn't help but notice how he seemed so relaxed around his sister and niece but in a classroom he couldn't be relaxed. It was like he was always stressed. But the weird thing is, He only seemed stressed when he had to read. Or focus on anything in the same area.

I sat back down in my seat and watched the game. Matt was still running across the gym and I could see the energy draining from his small body. Ever since his sickness, he's been running out of energy fast. He can get back on his feet after a small rest usually, though. The buzzard went off a little later confirming that the game was over.

I stood up with my parents and was hit by a weight with hands wrapped around my neck. Matt laughed into my ear and pointed up to the score board with a giddy smile on his face shouting, "We won! And I feel good, sissy."

_________________________

Awww Ella and Matt though <3

I hope this chapter gave you a better look into both Sophia and Cameron's lives. It was sorta fun to write. I can't wait until I can make Cameron not so bitter, though!

Anyways, thanks guys!