Nicotine

What? Me? I was utterly confused because if I recall, I had done nothing to him so why was I clouding his mind this past week?

"What are you talking about?" I asked, and that's when worry struck in. Had he invited me over to tell me he didn't want to be friends anymore? To be honest, my heart pounded in my chest so painfully I thought for a split second I might need to go to the hospital for a stroke...

Brendon must have known what I was feeling by the facial expressions I was making. He grabbed my hand, squeezing gently. "Megan," he sighed, "I've fallen in love with my best friend." After he spoke, I quickly looked up from our intertwined hands and into the deep brown irises of his eyes. Call me stupid but the next thing I said I truly thought and I didn't realize what he meant until he explained it.

"Who's your best friend? Do you want me to talk to her for you?" Even though pain was evident on my face, I was serious. I loved Brendon but I wanted him to be happy because the many girls that he had been through since high school had left him a little broken inside and I didn't know how to fix it.

He laughed...right in my face and I didn't know how to respond to that. "No Maggs I don't want you to talk to her because talking to yourself will get you thrown into Everleaf." "Wha.." He knew I was still confused so he interrupted me. "You. I love you Megan damn." His smile grew wider as the realization hit me.

"How long?" Was the only thing that came to mind at the moment.

"4 1/2 long fucking years. All throughout high school. And I know, 'Why didn't you just tell me?'. I was too scared. You were dating that preppy uhh..."

"Blake."

"...Yeah Blake! I didn't want to ruin your chance of having a life with him because you told me you really loved him and thought it would work out."

"I did but he cheated so I guess I got what was coming for me. Well what about when we broke up and up until now?"

"Maggs you were heart-broken. I wanted to slaughter him. Would you have really dated me the same day you and him broke up? No."

"How do you know? Maybe I've loved you ever since middle school..." I blurted out, slapping a hand over my mouth. Brendon's mouth dropped and then a devious smile spread his face once again as he picked me up from the kitchen chair and walked over to the couch, throwing me down. Hovering over me he says, "Oh really now? So you were going to give me this long ass lecture over why I never told you when you've been holding out on me for almost 6 years?"

I shrugged knowing it would irritate him if I didn't answer. I grinned as he furrowed his eyebrows and suddenly he leaned down, his lips meeting mine for the first time since we were children. My eyes fluttered closed and my arms found my way around his neck. His snaked around my back, picking me and placing me on his lap, never breaking contact with my lips. When we finally came up for air, I looked down at him, his eyes still shut taking in the events that just occurred.

"God, you're worse than nicotine." He said, eyes still closed but a smile planted where it normally sat.

I let out a small laugh, pecking his lips once more and lying my head down on his chest as he began to rub my back.