Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time

So yes, I know I didn't study last night like I said I was... How could I? So much was flooding my mind and I couldn't even think straight. I felt like I woke up with the worst hangover ever. And I did... not your typical hangover but the one where you thought you'd never recover from and it all involved Brendon. Questions rushed my mind, sometimes the same question would reappear over and over again. Why was he different? Was I overreacting? Yes, I answered myself, I was overreacting. He must have had a bad week and needed alone time. But then I thought, even when he was having a bad day or what have you, he always talked to me about it. Always. My heart thumped faster and faster in my chest. I was always the type to panic and this one was no different than the last. Suddenly my phone buzzed and I turned over to face my nightstand, my alarm clock reading 11:45 am. I slept that long? Must be tired out from work yesterday. I grabbed my phone, pulling the charger out and letting it land fast on the floor. 

Brendon: Hey when you get the chance, call me.

After reading the text, I realized he sent it almost an hour ago. My chest pounded like it normally did when I was around him or when we would talk on the phone. As the phone rang, I sat up in bed and started twiddling my thumbs, nervous as to what he wanted me to call him so urgently about. 

"Maggs! I've been waiting for you to call me for 3 hours now!" He said. I rolled my eyes at the nickname he gave me when we were kids and smiled. 

"Sorry, I just woke up and stop exaggerating. You sent me that text an hour ago." I could practically hear the smirk that rose on his face. "What's so important that you waited 3 hours for me to call?" I asked, sarcasm apparent in my voice. As I was talking, I had gotten out of bed and gathered a pair of blue jeans, a white tank top, and my bra and panties in order for me to go take a shower when our conversation was done. 

"I-I was wondering if you'd like to come over. Maybe we can order pizza and rent some movies." His stuttering shocked me and it took me a minute to answer. "Maggs? You there?"

I mentally cursed myself for pausing and said, "Yeah sure I'd love too but pizza's on you!" He laughed, a deep throaty laugh that I was more than used too.

"Well hurry up and get your ass over here. Pick up some movies on your way." The phone clicked and I set it down, heading towards the shower. I was so thankful I didn't have to work today 'cause it felt like I was working myself to death but I was more surprised that Brendon didn't work today either. After taking my shower and changing into my clothes, I argued whether I should put on some makeup or not. I mean it was just pizza and a movie at his house. What was so special in putting makeup on just for that? I grabbed my phone, walking out of my bedroom and into the kitchen where my keys and bag sat on the counter from last night. I grabbed those as well and out the door I went. 

It took all but 30 minutes to rent the movies and drive over to his house. He met me at the front door with a big smile planted on his face. I raised an eyebrow and he must of caught my expression because he quickly stated, "What? I can't be happy to see my best friend?" Oh yeah...best friend... My facial expression changed fast and he definitely noticed.

He lifted my chin causing my eyes to stare into his, seriousness had taken over his eyes but somehow I managed to smile. "Yeah! Now lets get in there and watch these movies." He dropped the situation and asked what movies I had rented whilst walking into the house and closing the door. "You're going to hate me for one of them." I said, scrunching my nose and giggled. He sighed and rolled his eyes but his smile still lingered on his face. I continued, "Finding Dory and The Visit." Brendon face-palmed saying, "What the fuck am I going to do with you Ms. Disney?" The whole time we had been standing in the hallway so I walked into the familiar living room where we spent countless hours talking, eating, and watching movies. I sat down on the black, leather couch with Brendon following behind me. 

"I told you you'd hate me for that one but I know you've been wanting to see The Visit and they finally have it out for rental!" 

"So the question we both have been waiting for is which one do we watch first because I'd rather get that damned movie over with." He said pointing to Finding Dory. 

"Finding Dory it is although I should make you watch the other first and this one last so Dory is all you'll think about." I got up from the couch, movie in hand, and popped it into the DVD player. The trailers started to play and my eyes were glued to the TV. There was barely any conversation during the movie other than Brendon sighing and I would throw a threat at him every once in awhile but other times I would ignore it because he couldn't deny it was a great movie! When the credits started to roll, I wiped my now watering eyes and glanced over to him. 

"Well thanks for leaving me that last slice of pizza asshole!" He stopped eating for a brief second and then went back to slowly eating the remainder as he started blankly at me. I punched his arm and went to the kitchen to get something to drink. When I felt hands grasp my shoulders, I jumped and screeched. I turned around to see Brendon hunched over in laughter.

"That-ha that was priceless!" His eyes leaked tears as he was laughing so hard and he had to occasionally come up for air. When his foolishness ended, he began to pour him a glass of water. I couldn't help but stare and then my mind wondered back to all the unanswered questions I had this morning. 

"Brendon...' I began but didn't know how to continue. He looked up at me and the same seriousness in his eyes had reappeared. He grabbed my hand and lead me to the kitchen table, both of us sitting down. 

"Tell me what's wrong Maggs. I want to know why you're acting this way." My face had looked down at my hands that were in my lap and Brendon ducked his head down to attempt to see my face. 

"You've been different this past week..." I knew if I didn't flat out tell him, I never would. Realization kicked in and he sighed but not the annoyed sigh, the more I-fucked-up sign. 

"I know and I'm terribly sorry. I have a lot of things on my mind right now that I need to figure out."

"Why aren't you telling me like you always do?" 

He hesitated. "Because most of it is about you."