He fell asleep before dark in a chair in his guest room. He was woken by a knock on the door well after the time everyone else had gone to bed. Zane was relieved to see one of the Bluescale guards standing with Dean, who barely reached the man's waist. Zane was impressed when he found the guard looked as young as Paige. His baby face was disarming, and Zane was happy that Byran had followed the order with such attention to detail.

"The Prince of Bluescale has requested that I show him to your room, Lord Prince."

"Thank you," Zane said, then turned to ask Dean how Paige was doing.

"She didn't eat today. She hasn't eaten in days." Dean's little hands shook. "I couldn't wake her up to take her medicine."

"Dean, I need to see her. We have to get her to a healer who can help her."

"Can you get her? I can't move her."

"I can't breathe underwater. Can you breathe for me like Paige did?"

"No, but I can open the door."

"What door?"

"It's a secret. I could get in really big trouble for telling you."

"Sometimes we have to break the rules to help the people we care about. Show me where the door is."

Dean looked torn for a moment, then beckoned for Zane to follow him. "Go, wake Maze. Tell her I'll be bringing the queen," Zane informed the Bluescale guard. "Wait here, I don't want the sight of you to upset the queen," he told his own guard before he trailed after Dean.

Zane was not surprised to be led to a wide hall, which was far from the waterways. It was lined with heavy tapestries depicting the landscape, and great Bluescale dragons that had once lived. His own castle had a few hidden passages, and a hall such as this was the perfect setting to hide a passageway.

Dean told Zane to wait, then ran off, leaving Zane alone in the empty hall. He peeked behind several of the tapestries, seeing if he could find the one that would hold the hidden passage, but all he saw behind each one was a solid stone wall. The Bluescale secrets were well hidden.

A small amount of time passed before Zane heard stone grind against stone, then Dean called his name. Zane pulled back the tapestry of a dragon flying over a lake and saw Dean standing in a doorway that had just been a solid stone wall, only now he was dripping wet.

The same eerie lights from the underwater tunnels ran along the walls in this hidden space as well. Dancing flames behind thick glass lit a narrow passageway that led to old stone steps. A musty smell engulfed his nose, causing an uneasiness to slow his steps. He followed Dean down a steep flight of stone chiseled stairs that opened to a small apartment. He drew up short when he saw the floor was solid silver bricks, and the walls were covered in gold. He was not sure if these features were merely a covering or if they were solid, but the effect was stunning. There was a small dining area with a table and chairs. A few dishes were laid out, and a plate of food that was still uneaten from whenever Dean had put it out for Paige. The bag that held his treasures was slung over the back of one of the wooden chairs. A sitting area took up the other half of this room with a couch and two comfortable looking chairs. A small pool, much like the one he and Paige had been deposited into, acted as somewhat of a barrier to the bed that was against the back wall. An alcove to the right of the bed had just enough gold piled up to create a comfortable nest for any dragon.

Zane ignored the wealth and focused on the bed where Paige lay sleeping.

"Paige, Paige," Zane called, but she didn't respond. Her arm had been wrapped loosely without skill, and there was blood on the bedding. When Zane moved the bandage, he was shocked to see that the cut looked as fresh as the day it had happened. He secured the bandage on her arm. The bruising on her face had not improved, and she looked ghastly. Her lips were almost white. Her hand still looked horrific. Charred and blistered, it was now covered in a thick salve that Maze had given Dean. Zane could see that Dean had taken every effort to follow Maze's direction in curing his sister, but if she wouldn't wake to take her medicine, Dean's efforts could only go so far.