Shawn and the Fatman

"That's impossible! You've been here for less than a minute!" Lassiter protested.

"No...no, I know who it is. The "vibes" are coming in very clearly..." Shawn said as he began to zone out.

*1990*

"Come on, Gus, it's a once in a lifetime oppurtunity!" A young Shawn cheered.

The two boys rode their bikes through the empty streets of Santa Barbra.

Shawn rode quickly down the block, dressed in an elaborate superhero costume.

Gus, who wore a simple clown costume, panted as he rushed to catch up with his partner.

Most of the kids on Shawn's block had already started trick-or-treating, but Shawn's mind was not only sweets. At least, not directly.

On Shawn's handles was a large bucket of candy. Shawn had no intention of eating any of it.

Within minutes, Shawn and Gus reached their destination. An old house at the end of a dead end block was Shawn's primary target. While most kids threw eggs or toilet paper, Shawn had a more devious plan.

Each year, a very large candy delivery was made to this house, and each year the owner had kept all of if to himself... or herself. The more Shawn thought, the more he realized that he had never seen the owner before.

Shawn took the large bucket and dropped his bike on the worn front yard.

He made his way quickly up the stairs, and Gus followed right behind.

Shawn hushed his panting friend.

"What...are...we...doing..." Gus began to say as he wheezed.

Shawn held a finger up to his lip before placing the large bucket on the front porch.

He rang the bell and quickly hopped off the steps. He had to go back a second later, as Gus stood frozen on the porch.

Both boys ducked behind a large hedge.

The door slowly began to creak open, and Shawn could hardly contain his excitment. A face pressed up against the crack in the door, but all Shawn could see was the person's large green eye.

A hand emerged from door, and grabbed the bucket. The door slammed shut not a mere second later. Shawn was left in awe. The hand that reached out was at least three times the size of normal hand.

"W...w-what was that, Shawn?" Gus' lips trembled as he spoke, "Shawn?"

Gus turned to his left, and saw the empty spot where his best friend sat. He heard heavy pants from behind him, and saw that Shawn was peddling his bike quickly down the block. Gus soon fell in step with his own bicycle.

The two made it to Shawn's house in record time. The threw their bikes on the front lawn and ran inside. Henry, who was sitting in the living room with a beer, stared wide eyed at the pair.

"What are you two doing home so early? It's only six, shouldn't you be terrorizing the neighbors?" Henry asked smugly.

Shawn looked up at his father, "Dad? Who lives at 213 Wilkers Place?"

Henry placed his drink down and sat up quickly, "Shawn, stay away from that place!"

"Why?" Shawn's pre pubecent voice squeeked.

Henry fumbled to speak, "Just stay away from there, or you're grounded for the week!"

Henry grabbed his beer and stormed out of the room.

"What's up with him?" Gus chimed in.

Shawn squinted his eyes, "I don't know, but I'm going to find out."

Shawn did not live up to his promise. He soon passed out on the living room's couch from eating too many jelly-bellies. When he awoke, the room was blanketed by darkness. The clock on the wall, which was just barely visible, told that it was ten pm.

Shawn turned to the TV and clicked it on with the little black remote.

"Seen it...seen it....seen it..." he said as he flipped through the channels, "Wait."

Shawn placed the remote down beside his arm as he reached channel 10, just in time for the news.

An anchorman, with over-gelled hair, stood in front of a home in Shawn's neighborhood.

"This is Kent Downs reporting from Santa Barbra where a body has been found," his booming voice yelled through the television, "The victim, an unidentified male, was found at the residence of one Raymond Knight. Knight, who was brought into SBPD for questioning, has not left his home in nearly ten years, due to his... massive size."

A picture of Knight flashed on the screen. The man appeared to be at least five-hundred pounds, it was obvious that he was the police's only suspect.

The camera turned back to Downs, who stood in front of Knight's home. Just in the corner of the screen, Shawn could make out the street sign, which read 'Wilkers Place'.

"No..." Shawn's voice trembled.

"The victim will be taken down the medical examiner's office for autopsy, but the police have concluded that the death as a homicide. The man was found in Knight's bedroom with a single jumprope tied tightly around his throat. We will give you more as the story develops. Reporting from Santa Barbra, I'm Kent Downs."

Shawn clicked the TV off and ran upstairs. He stopped in front of his father's room, and slowly creeked the door open. Henry lied asleep in the large bed in the middle of the room. Shawn tip toed in and made his way over to his father's work desk. He clicked the small table lamp on and began to flip through his father's work files.

"Knight... Knight... Knight," Shawn mumbled as he flopped through the papers, "Knight!"

Shawn realized a second too late how loud he yelled. Henry began to awake, signaling Shawn to dart out of the room.

He brought the file into his own room, and began to read.

Raymond Theodore Knight was his full name. He was a thirty two year old male who had been accused of just the same crime as the one reported on the news tonight. A man, George Benson, had been found in his own home with a jump rope tied around his neck. At that point, Knight wasn't home bound, but still massively over weight. He was released for a lack of sufficient evidence.

Henry was the lead on Benson's case and jotted notes all over the papers inside the file. It looked like it was the work of a madman.

Shawn yawned as he read the last piece in the file. He shut the file and placed it under his pillow.

Shawn would go on to follow the case on the news everyday for the next several weeks. The day of the trial came, and Shawn just knew Knight would be convicted. He sat in the living room, staring at the TV attentively as the jury came to a decision.

"We, the people, find the defendant, Raymond Knight, not guilty on all charges."

The court room burst out in different sounds, including that of the judge banging his gavel loudly, demanding order in the court room.

Shawn's jaw dropped. He couldn't believe it...

"Spencer!" Lassiter's voice hissed.

Shawn shook his head and stared at the crowd that stood before him.

"Shawn, are you okay?" Juliet chimed in, "You were gone for a long time."

"Yeah, I'm fine," he responded abruptly, "Just a bit nervous."