Few Years Back

A few years ago -

Iruka Umino, teacher for many young Ninja-to-be, bit his lip and paced the classroom. "I'm worried about her, Lord Hokage. She can't see to replicate hand signs, she can't read or write for the tests, all she can really do is listen to the lectures and..."

"And you know that's not enough."

Iruka stopped his pacing and looked at The Third Hokage. "Yes sir. Isn't there anything...?" What little hope Iruka might have had disappeared as the Hokage shook his head.

"No Irkua. I'm sorry, but the only person I can imagine to be good enough to fix her eyes is Lady Tsunade of the Sanin, and no one knows her whereabouts. I know you want all your students to succeed, but I think she's a lost cause."

Iruka gave a small nod of defeat. "Yeah..." He said. "I know."

You sat in the back of class, head down, eyes closed. Listening to the other students practice the Transformation Jutsu, you held your hands together. You'd never been able to figure out how to do the hand signs properly, mostly because you couldn't see them.

Your head jerked up when the room broke out in laughter. You tipped your head, listening.

"He can't even do a transformation!"

"Dork Lee!"

"What kind of ninja can't do Ninjutsu?"

Your hands balled into fists at the taunts. You hated it when someone was being bullied. Iruka Sensei was trying to get them to sit down and shut up, but they were still jabbering on when you got out of your seat and felt your way toward the front of the class.

The room gradually fell silent as you walked uncertainly forward. Someone tripped you and you squealed in shock, tensing up for the impact. But it never came.

Instead, strong arms caught you, and you were placed back on your feet. The person kept their arm around your shoulders so you wouldn't fall again, and you shifted closer to them.

"Hey look!" Someone called out. "Dork Lee and Blindy! Talk about the world's most useless pair!"

"ENOUGH!"

Everyone jumped at Iruka Sensei's roar. You heard yelps and protests as Iruka grabbed the cruel kids and started shoving them towards the door. "All of you out. Straight to detention. And don't think that I won't be talking to your parents about this." More protests, but Iruka ignored it.

"Thank you." You whispered when your  teacher came back.

"No problem." He gently rubbed your hair before walking to the blackboard and starting to clean off the chalk lines. "I swear, those kids get worse everyday."

You nodded, not sure if he was even looking. You looked toward where you thought the boy who couldn't do Ninjutsu was. "Um... I'm sorry, but... Can you really not do Ninjutsu?"

"No. I cannot." He didn't sound offended that you asked and you relaxed a little bit.

"Well." You said. "Your Ninjutsu might not work, but at least your eyes do."

"No! No! Do not cry!"

You wiped the tears from your eyes. "Sorry..." You shut your eyes again. You never liked having your eyes open for too long. The other kids had teased you for their fogged appearance, and it wasn't like they worked anyway.

"Why do you always have your eyes closed?"

You shifted at the boy's voice. "Most people don't like how they look." You whispered.

"Well, you do not need most people, anyway. Can I see?" You felt his hand on your chin, tipping your head up.

Slowly, hesitantly, you opened your eyes on blackness. You started to get nervous when a few moments passed with nothing of silence. Then he said, "Most people must be idiots, then. I think your eyes are beautiful!"

"Wh-What?" You could feel the blush burning on your cheeks.

"I said you are beautiful!" Your blush deepened. "My name is Rock Lee!"

"I-I'm (Y/N)..."